Plastic Smell/Taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoosterBrew

Reaction score
I brewed a homebrew double IPA from a kit with LME, columbus and cascade hops, and safale US-05. Im getting a pretty strong plastic smell. More specifically it smells like melting plastic and takes over the entire smell of the beer. I can taste it too allthough not nearly as strong, the beer tastes much beter than it smells.

I did do a search and I found it could be called Chlorophenol and be caused by too much PH in the water. I did use my tap water as I figured it was too early in my homebrew career to start worrying about water becuase I just wanted to get my process down. I found on the website for my city (Aurora Il) that my water has a PH of 9.1 but I don't have a full water report. Edit: I found someone who posted a water report on here for Aurora in 2010. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f128/just-got-my-water-report-ward-labs-now-what-206360/ How fast does city water change?

So a few questions: Is my PH too high? If not, could there be a different cause. If so would I benefit from using bottled water in general or do I have to research the brand etc? Is this a flavor that could go away with time or is it more likely to get worst with time? I have two other brews frementing that I used the same water with.

Water ph, should be around 7 so the malts will get it to 5.4, you should buy the strips to test both water and mash. Fermentation temperature being to high can cause those off flavors as well, I also feel that oxygen pickup can cause it, but many on this site will disagree.

Back