Debating removing some rhizomes from containers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Austin_

Reaction score
My first adventure in hop growing is beginning. I have two 30 gallon pots and each container has two rhizomes. I planted two of each in case one rhizome didn't work. In both pots the rhizomes are breaking ground. Would it be better to remove one rhizome in each pot and leave the container for one rhizome, or can both make it in the same pot?

Twins will contend for resources, and already constrained in a pot that might not be the best way to go.

But unless you planted the twins with enough separation that you could surgically remove one of them without harming the other, the risk-adverse move might be to leave things be and hope for the best.

If you could split them apart, you gain another plant! Might be enough up-side motivation there ;)

Cheers!

If you just planted them this season, i.e. within the last few weeks, I would be really surprised if you couldn't separate them without much difficulty, especially if there is some separation between the two of them. Of course, the longer they are in the same pot the harder this will be.

They have only been in the ground a week. I can pretty easily separate them. I will take one out of each pot. Thanks, y'all.

Latest posts

Back