Blonde ale yeast help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

txbrewer2

Reaction score
Hey guys, first poster here.
I'm planning on brewing the Centennial Blonde recipe and I need help picking a yeast. I really like the White labs vials and I've picked out a couple but i need help choosing. I'm a big fan of Shiner's Blonde and I know they lager their beers but I don't have the equipment to lager. So my choices are..

1. American ale WLP060- Clean and neutral. More lager like finish than WLP001

2. California ale V WLP051-Fruitier and more full bodied finish than WLP001 but creates a sulfer smell that I'm worried about conditioning out. I don't wanna wait a month and run out of my beer I have on hand! :0 (I'm thinking I could use this for wheat beers too)

3. Cream ale WLP080-Clean, crisp, lager like.

I have never brewed blonde, I don't know where they're from (Germany, Belgium etc.) What do you guys think? Have you tried any of these yeasts? Thanks!

I'm going with WLp001 for mine.
"This yeast is famous for its clean flavors, balance and ability to be used in almost any style ale. It accentuates the hop flavors and is extremely versatile."

honestly, you can't really go wrong with any of those. All would compliment the style well, and all are well-regarded for being easy to work with. California Ale V might produce a sulfur SMELL, but that is mostly talking about the smell that will come out of the airlock during fermentation, not necessarily the aroma of the finished beer. Are you kegging or bottling? As for where blondes come from, they have been traditionally brewed in regions of france and belgium, but I think the style is generally not connected with any particular region. I recently brewed one using White Lab's belgian wit strain, produced a beautiful ale.

I have not brewed with it personally, but a friend of mine that I got into brewing last year used the 080 on an extract blonde kit he purchased. It was his first beer. He has no temp control and brewed it in a closet around 70f. It came out crisp and clean. I was impressed with it as his first effort

I'm bottling. I already have the WLP060 and I'm thinking I'll try it again in the blonde after washing my yeast today.

sounds good! But, you'll be waiting more than a month before you're drinking it if you are bottling. Let us know how it turns out

I've never had any issues with WLP001 in my blonde recipes, and it's a pretty good all around strain. I have had issues though with WLP060, particularly with regard to clarity. This strain is a yeast blend that I believe has some lager yeast in it, and after two months of cold conditioning, I was still waiting for mine to clear up.

Back