Wyeast 1272 attenuation issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

POAS

Reaction score
OK, I brewed a Fat Tire clone (recipe from Brew Your Own), all grain, 5 gallons, using this yeast. I brewed it about 2 1/2 weeks ago and the gravity I just measured is at 1.020. I adjusted the recipe with BeerSmith because my efficiency hasn't been very good (this is only my 3rd all grain batch, don't have my own mill) and got better efficiency than expected and the OG was 1.058, though it was supposed to be 1.052. I fermented at 65 degrees for the first two weeks, and then this last few days I've let it come up to room temperature (73). Does it just need more time?
Yeast information: I got a 1L starter going on Friday night with a washed yeast I had that was about 1 year old using a stir plate. Saturday morning it had still not gotten going so I went to the LHBS and got a smack pack. By the time I was finished brewing Sat evening the smack pack was puffed up and I pitched it at about 63 deg. By Sunday morning the starter had gotten going and by that evening it looked like it was done, so I pitched that too.
Mash information: I mashed at about 152 for one hour.

Any comments appreciated.

Have that recipe in my BrewSmith software and it looks like FG should be around 1.012. But you had a higher OG of 1.058 and when I adjust my recipe it says FG around 1.016. So you are pretty close, it won't hurt to let it sit for a few more days. Check the gravity over the weekend and if it still has not budged, then it's probably done.

OK, thanks. I didn't think about changing the recipe in BeerSmith to match what actually happened. I just did that and it does bump up the final gravity to about 1.015, so I guess I'm not as far off as I thought. That makes me feel a little better. I'm going to transfer it to a secondary and let it sit for another week or so to see if that rouses the yeast a little and I get a few more points.

I use that yeast as my house yeast and I have found that it responds well with yeast nutrient and a good dose of oxygen (well, I guess all yeast benefit from this). I would suggest that you invest in some nutrient and an O2 setup and start to get into the habit of using them.

Also, A 1.058 needs about 200 Billion yeast cells or so. The smack pack should of added 100 billion but the 1L starter you made with 1 year old yeast would of not been enough to really do much - maybe 10 - 20 billion or so. I am guessing that you under-pitched as well and that is what is leaving you a bit off. Like jdauria stated, you are not that far off from where you should be and I bet you might get a few more points from secondary.

Yes, I do believe that my oxygenation is lacking. All I did was made sure that I splashed a lot when transferring from boil pot to the fermenter. Also, the cell count wasn't as high as it could have been, but I have been brewing this way for a while and I'm usually only a couple of points off (on the high side always), but never 8 points, which is why I questioned it.

I think that I will invest in an O2 set up one of these days, and if I had planned my brew a little better, I would have made a starter with the smack pack once I realized that the old one wasn't really doing the trick.

Live and learn, live and learn...

Thanks for the input!

Back