Silky tasting beer...help.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryho

Reaction score
Hey guys just kegged an american brown ale that I dry hopped for 15 days and made the mistake of adding the hops to my first fermenter instead of transferring to my second. I just pressurized my keg and force carbonated my beer and its tasting really off. The beer really has no smell to it either which is weird, it smelt better when I put the hops after fermentation....

If im not making sense this is my first attempt at dry hopping and first at kegging. Im just wondering if after a week the carbonation from the co2 will improve it since im used to using the priming sugar and enjoying it that way..

Should i trash this batch?
:eek:
Please Help

First, don't trash it

Second, a 15 day dry hop is VERY long. I would max it out at 7 days (there are exceptions if course) because the hops will start to give off a grassy/vegetal flavor if they're in there too long.

If its the hops that are giving the off flavor then aging the keg a bit will reduce the hop flavor and aroma. I'm sure carving will help some as well

Also, not sure what you mean by silky tasting. That's usually a texture

Ya i really didnt want to dry hop that long but things kept coming up. A better way to probably describe the taste would be soapy? It has a weird finish that you need to swallow again to clean your pallet. Im almost wondering maybe when transfering to my bottling bucket I may of sucked up more of the sediment...

What's the recipe? Carbing will definitely lighten the body, so definitely do that before even considering dumping.

its an american brown extract kit. So specialty grains, Bries, hops haha pretty broad but i did choose cascade hops to dry hop with.

Soapy could come from the extended dry hop. Everyone tastes things a little different, and I seem to be sensitive to the "soapy" flavor a lot even when my buddies dont. If you force carbed, the beer itself might be a little green anyway. Set the PSI to serving pressure and forget about it for 2-3 weeks. Then report back what you are tasting :rockin:

Hey guys just kegged an american brown ale that I dry hopped for 15 days and made the mistake of adding the hops to my first fermenter instead of transferring to my second.

first off, that isn't a mistake. the "need" to move beer to a secondary for dry-hopping is old-school... lots of people still do it, but many others (including myself) dry-hop in primary. 95% of my beers are primary-only. there are some advantages to racking to secondary, but to my mind there are more disadvantages (risk of infection, oxidation, etc). so the fact that you dry-hopped in primary is just fine.

carbonation should help with aroma.

Do you toss whole leaf hops straight into the primary, if you're using whole leaf? I was going to add my dry hops today but realized I'm out of the hop sacks.

Do you toss whole leaf hops straight into the primary, if you're using whole leaf? I was going to add my dry hops today but realized I'm out of the hop sacks.

I did. The was still a lot of them floating on top when I went to rack to the bottling bucket but I had expected that and was prepared with a paint strainer bag that I sanitized and fastened to the bottom of my autosiphon with a rubber band before shoving it down through the hops.

Back