Brett IPA with NO bittering hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattHollingsworth

Reaction score
I was listening to The Session interview with Chad Yacobson and he mentioned doing a Brett IPA that uses NO bittering hops at all, not even late additions, that only has hops added at knockout.

Has anybody done this? Any insights?

I've done something similar - not an IPA but it was a 6 gallon batch with 2 oz of Amarillo at knock out (15 minute WP/15 minute rest) and fermented with brett clausenii. Turned out great - it had a fairly strong flavor/aroma that paired well with the brett and there was some notable bitterness from that WP addition (I think I put it in as a 15 minute addition in beersmith and it calculated it as 25ish IBUs).

I've done something similar - not an IPA but it was a 6 gallon batch with 2 oz of Amarillo at knock out (15 minute WP/15 minute rest) and fermented with brett clausenii. Turned out great - it had a fairly strong flavor/aroma that paired well with the brett and there was some notable bitterness from that WP addition (I think I put it in as a 15 minute addition in beersmith and it calculated it as 25ish IBUs).

Cool. Sounds awesome.

Yacobson used 4 lbs of hops per barrel, so for me that would mean around 300 grams at KO for a 20 liter batch (what, 10 ounces?), which is a helluva lot. Sort of late hopped like a DIPA, but with no other additions.

How did that Brett work with it? I have Trois and Brux here and might give it a go with one (or both) of those sometime in the not too distant future.

Back