Which Bourbon Which Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flipfloptan

Reaction score
I'm trying to build my winter stock after moving.

Looking for direction on either the AHS or NB Bourbon Porter Recipe.

I am going to split the batch at secondary and try two different bourbons.

I have Knob Creek as a house warming gift so that is one of them. Both recipes suggest Makers Mark.

Any advice from any one who has tasted or brewed bourbon porters?

I did morebeer's imperial porter and used 1 oz of oak chips with a pint of Wild Turkey. Came out great.

Hate to say it, but you won't be able to tell the difference between Makers and Knob once it is in the beer.

I'm sure I could tell if I thru in Jim Beam...would never do that, of course!.....But being able to discern between decent bourbons has all been but impossible for me once I have added it to the brew.

Now, pour me two glasses of each on ice and that is a different story. :D

Did you need help on quantities and durations or are you gtg with that?

BlackFurnaceBrewing said:
Hate to say it, but you won't be able to tell the difference between Makers and Knob once it is in the beer.

I wouldn't have thought so either, but when I made a bourbon barrel ale last year, a friend tried it and asked what I used in it. When I told him it had 12-yr Elijah Craig, he said, "I thought so! That's my go-to bourbon at home." But yeah, between Makers and Knob Creek, it should turn out well either way.

I wouldn't have thought so either, but when I made a bourbon barrel ale last year, a friend tried it and asked what I used in it. When I told him it had 12-yr Elijah Craig, he said, "I thought so! That's my go-to bourbon at home." But yeah, between Makers and Knob Creek, it should turn out well either way.

That is pretty good on your friend's part. It would challenge me to blind taste test him, but then he might take offense to that.

I’d say use what you like. I am a Jim Beam fan but went with 375ml of Makers Mark. You can definitely tell its Makers Mark and now I wish I went with Jim. It was the AHS Whiskey Imperial Stout.

Back