Having flavor issues with my non-homebrew? Please Help.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MexTex

Reaction score
I am all of a sudden having a flavor issue with my keezer. I have gone through about 4 kegs of Miller Lite and on the 5th keg something is off. Things I have done recently before installing the 5th keg:

- Refilled the CO2 container at the same shop I previously purchased gas from
- Cleaned and rinsed the beer lines and tap with a cleaning system that I found online. I can’t seem to find the product anymore and I don’t know what the solution was, but I had thought it was called the keg buddy?

Keg CO2 was set again at 12 and the A419 Keezer Temp Gauge was set at 35, with a 5 diff. It has been great in the past, but something is off. The beer seems over carbonated and sort of bitter. I ended up recleaning the lines and faucet and tap with a better cleaner…BLC. I reconnected everything and the beer did taste better, but the over carbonated taste was still there. I went ahead and dropped the C02 pressure down to 5 psi last night to see if that would help and I am gonna check it out tonight when I get off work. Any other ideas of what it might be? :confused:

Miller fizzes like crazy normally with ZERO head retention. I can't help but feel that it is pretty highly carbed.

Why the cleaning kit? Can't you just blow No Rinse through the lines and reserv the deep clean for twice a year or so?

My guess is it is the cleaner. I have wondered about Co2 quality before and been shouted down.

No, I didn't think it was the carbonation, but you do have to bleed pressure or pull a few pints to release carbonation from the beer.

This is the 5th keg in a row, right? Did you switch taps? Can you?

Do you drink any other kind of beer? Honestly after 4 kegs of miller, I would be ready for something different.;)

Are you sure you are not tasting carbonic bite from too much CO2 in the beer or not fully absorbed into the beer?

I feel like I am tasting the carbonic bite, but I really don't know what that tastes like. Based on the temperatures I am keeping the beer at between 29-35 degrees, maybe 12 psi was to high. I went ahead and shut off the CO2 and bled most of the pressure from the keg to see what kind of difference that would make. How long do you suppose it would take for the beer to loose some of its carbonation?

The Kezzer that I have the Miller Lite kegs in is in my garage and the line runs through the garage wall to my patio. I like keeping a common beer in that keezer for pool company.

MexTex said:
I feel like I am tasting the carbonic bite, but I really don't know what that tastes like. Based on the temperatures I am keeping the beer at between 29-35 degrees, maybe 12 psi was to high. I went ahead and shut off the CO2 and bled most of the pressure from the keg to see what kind of difference that would make. How long do you suppose it would take for the beer to loose some of its carbonation?

The Kezzer that I have the Miller Lite kegs in is in my garage and the line runs through the garage wall to my patio. I like keeping a common beer in that keezer for pool company.

Leave it alone for a week and give things a chance to settle and absorb and give a taste then

That cold it probably is over carbing.....for normal beer....I swear that stuff out of a can is so carbed! I can't believe it makes such a difference!

No, it makes sense, let the pool partiers drink miller........Only thing that doesn't add up is that he cares so much what the miller tastes like!;)

I'm not into kegging, but 29degreesF seems too low to me, and I suspect that may be the problem.

I had this same problem but finally found the fix....dump the Miller down the toilet and replace with beer. Tastes great and no problems since then ;)

Back