Using flaked wheat in a cherry wheat beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lwlampy

Reaction score
I was going to try to make a cherry wheat beer using 6lbs of 2row and 3lbs of flaked wheat. For some reason I bought 6lbs of flaked wheat and was wondering if anyone has used it instead of malted wheat and what it will turn out like? I plan on using 3lbs of cherry puree in the secondary and maybe some cherry flavoring in my keg. Any thoughts?

Flaked wheat has not been malted, so it cannot convert it's own starches to sugars. Typically, a good North American 2-row malt has enough enzymes to convert about 30-40% additional starches in the mash. You need a higher percentage of 2-row to convert the starches in the flaked wheat. Most wheat beers (Wiessbier, Wiezen, Hefewiezen) use malted wheat. Belgian Wit uses up to 50% flaked wheat.

I've used up to 60% unmalted wheat in a batch of wheat beer and it converted just fine. The 2 row on the western side of the Atlantic seems to have enough diastatic power to convert even more than that.

I misread lwlampy's original post, thinking it was 6 lbs flaked wheat to 3 lbs 2-row. RM-MN, good point. I have good conversion with 50% flaked wheat in my Belgian Wit. I haven't tried 60%. With a 50-50 mix it should turn out fine, but with a little more tartness from the wheat. lwlampy, please let us know how it turned out.

Back