My Eye on Rye (American Rye Ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cluckk

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
US-05
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
3 weeks
Tasting Notes
Crisp, dry and clean with mild rye character and complimentary hop presence.
Grain Bill:
8 lbs. Maris Otter
2.5 lbs. Malted Rye
1 lb. Crystal 20L

Mashed at 148 for 75 minutes; batch sparge.

Hops Schedule:
1/2 oz. Cluster @ 60 minutes
1/2 oz. of Crystal @ 15 minutes
1/2 oz. of Crystal at Flame out.
(I've been accused of being a bit OCD and I think my hopping may prove it)

Fermented at 69 for first three days and allowed to rise to 71 to finish. Left in primary for three weeks then kegged.

It is very much of a session beer or as some would call it "a lawnmower beer." I've attached a picture:

2013-06-02 13.53.44-1.jpg

Does look nice and quaffable. I'm learning that I really enjoy Maris Otter - a lot - as well as rye. Been looking for a beer like this to brew...I have WLP001 California Ale yeast, which I believe is very similar to US-05. Not familiar with those particular hops yet. May have to try this one!

cluckk...do you have any further thoughts/impressions regarding this recipe? Would you brew it again? Change anything? Only asking because I can feel a brew day coming soon and this is probably going to be 1 of 2 brews that day. I'll 'just brew it" :D if I don't hear anything.

I will definitely brew it again. I bought everything on Friday to brew on Saturday and then threw my back out and can't brew it for a couple weeks. Everyone who tries this loves it. Personally, I wouldn't change anything.

I will definitely brew it again. I bought everything on Friday to brew on Saturday and then threw my back out and can't brew it for a couple weeks. Everyone who tries this loves it. Personally, I wouldn't change anything.
Sounds great to me! I'm glad to hear your take...sounds like just what I'm looking for. Oh, and I'm real sorry to hear about your back. That is no fun at all. Downed a lot of ibuprofen when I did something like that.

I just upped this to a 10 gallon batch to brew on Labor Day for the maiden voyage of my new 20 gallon kettle. I halved the Caramel 20L. I'll give some information on it once it's ready.

Back