priming sugar question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parrothead600

Reaction score
I just primed & bottled this beer:http://byo.com/smoked-beer/item/2098-smoked-maple-porter If I am reading the recipe correctly, I should have used 1/2 cup of Light DME & 2/3 cup of maple syrup for priming. If I use the priming sugar calculator from Northern Brewer, I should use 1/2 cup of Maple Syrup.
Does the amount specified in the recipe seem excessive? I went w/ the amount called for by the priming sugar calculator. Do you think that it will turn out OK?

Strange that it doesn't really say. Just says prime & bottle. But it did list both the DME (2nd addition) & 2/3 cup maple syrup after the yeast. So I think they intended for you to use both. Looks like someone typed that up too quick & didn't think while proofreading.

According to the priming sugar calculator, the 2/3 cup of maple syrup alone would be on the high side for priming. I would think that adding 1/2 cup of DME would bring the carbonation too high, possibly making bottle bombs.
I don't feel that the maple syrup & DME (that is listed after the yeast) was intended to be added to the boil. I boiled everything listed above the yeast & my O.G. was good after I added water to bring my total volume to 5.5 gallons. If I would have added additional fermentables to the wort, I would have been over 6 gallons to reach the targeted O.G.

According to the priming sugar calculator, the 2/3 cup of maple syrup alone would be on the high side for priming. I would think that adding 1/2 cup of DME would bring the carbonation too high, possibly making bottle bombs.
I don't feel that the maple syrup & DME (that is listed after the yeast) was intended to be added to the boil. I boiled everything listed above the yeast & my O.G. was good after I added water to bring my total volume to 5.5 gallons. If I would have added additional fermentables to the wort, I would have been over 6 gallons to reach the targeted O.G.

1/2 cup of maple syrup seems like the beer would be undercarbed, if it's to prime 5 gallons but I don't know how much 1/2 cup maple syrup weighs so it's hard to guess.

For "cups", when I use DME to prime I use 1.5 cups for a 5 gallon batch. Otherwise, I go by weight and use 4.5 ounces of corn sugar for 5 gallons.

OK, Here's an update. After 3 days shy of the normal 3 week priming period, I refrigerated one of the bottles for 12 hours then cracked it open(just for research purposes;)). No gusher & nice head. :ban:
That was following the priming sugar calculator recomendation of 1/2 cup of maple syrup. I think that I would have had problems if I had followed the recipe & used 1/2 cup of DME along with 2/3 cup of maple syrup.

.. but I don't know how much 1/2 cup maple syrup weighs so it's hard to guess...

A little late for this but...

"A pint's a pound
The world around"

which is a cute rhyme but irritatingly and obviously not true. Although for liquids its close enough give or take 5%. 1/2 cup is 1/4 pint so it is within any margin of error 1/4 pound or 4 ounces. Or close enough. I would *not* make any such assumption for dry ingredients.

Back