Getting good head

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ridire

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
[giggle, giggle]

Blonde Ale is carbed quite well and tastes good at 24 hours in fridge. It has nearly no head, though. Will more fridge time give it head [giggle]?

If not, I guess I will need to add some cara-pils or something next time. This is a very light colored beer (and ABV of around 5%). How much cara-pils should I add to get head [giggle] without doing anything else to the beer? Is cara-pils what I want?

Yes a cara-malt will work, I throw in a lb of wheat malt in many beers, for the same purpose.

I have some wheat in this blonde. I would have to look at my recipe to see how much. So, maybe there is a chance that head will develop with more fridge time?

Flaked wheat will also work. My first beer was a Belgian Wit. I put 1 lb. of flaked wheat in it. I made lots of mistakes "wit" that 1st batch, but the head was amazing!
From what I've read, cara-malts, flaked wheat, torrified wheat and naked oats will all add good foam stability. I am planning on getting some naked oats to mix ith my carapils to see what I get.

Flaked wheat will also work. My first beer was a Belgian Wit. I put 1 lb. of flaked wheat in it. I made lots of mistakes "wit" that 1st batch, but the head was amazing!
From what I've read, cara-malts, flaked wheat, torrified wheat and naked oats will all add good foam stability. I am planning on getting some naked oats to mix ith my carapils to see what I get.

I know cara will do it, I'm just wondering if it will significantly change anything else about the beer. And how much should I add if I want a good foamy head on this beer? I know it would be easier to say if I had my grain bill available, but I'm looking for ballpark amount for a beer with OG of around 1.05 and very light SRM numbers. Either a ballpark weight or % of grain bill.

EDIT: I'm quite happy with the taste of this beer. I do not want to change the flavor with a tweak.

I always add a little wheat in my brews be it an IPA, APA, stout and so on. Makes for good head, and who does like good head

Back