Bud Light Lime STRAW-ber-RITA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A friend of mine brought some of this to my house when I was brewing a couple days ago. If you go into it with the idea that it's going to be a sweet, fruity, carbonated beverage, it's not all that terrible. Couldn't taste the booze AT ALL. Would I buy it? No. I might drink the one they left here though.

I'm going to play it safe and not purchase this, not that I even contemplated it. I'm not sure I would even try this if it were free.

My comment below is not directed towards anyone. Just feeling grumpy.

If I was to compare it to a Pliny the Younger I would say that it has almost no hop character, weak no maltiness and is over carbed. Fortunately it isn't a beer, and comparing it to beer is about as relevant as comparing coca-cola to beer, or a tuna salad sandwich, or the price of tea in China..

I don't understand a few things. Why would anyone confuse this with beer? Once you are not comparing it to beer, how is it that it tastes so horrid to some people, as if it is not to some style of what they consider to be a margarita, (or beer for that matter)? It is booze and strawberry soda with a bit of lime tartness, the straight lime-a-rita is all previous without the strawberry... Also, why is everyone pretending to be so obtuse that they can't fathom a beer brewing company producing other alcohol related products for different markets? Sorry, but it isn't bad stuff at all. I would grab these with both hands if faced with a choice of only their "flagship" offering, and these.

My wife had a couple of clients give her cans of the BL Lime-a-Rita with their tip.

It was better than I anticipated. But, yeah, flavored malt liquor is probably the best description. Or maybe like a wine cooler with extra ABV.

My comment below is not directed towards anyone. Just feeling grumpy.

If I was to compare it to a Pliny the Younger I would say that it has almost no hop character, weak no maltiness and is over carbed. Fortunately it isn't a beer, and comparing it to beer is about as relevant as comparing coca-cola to beer, or a tuna salad sandwich, or the price of tea in China..

I don't understand a few things. Why would anyone confuse this with beer? Once you are not comparing it to beer, how is it that it tastes so horrid to some people, as if it is not to some style of what they consider to be a margarita, (or beer for that matter)? It is booze and strawberry soda with a bit of lime tartness, the straight lime-a-rita is all previous without the strawberry... Also, why is everyone pretending to be so obtuse that they can't fathom a beer brewing company producing other alcohol related products for different markets? Sorry, but it isn't bad stuff at all. I would grab these with both hands if faced with a choice of only their "flagship" offering, and these.

Uhm.....maybe because it says Bud Lite on the can? I'm not going to slam BMC for making other products. But the marketing tries (and does) attempt to tie this product with a product that many people enjoy....Bud Lite. If Coca Cola came out with an IPA, and called it Coke IPA....I'd expect some cola flavor somewhere. If you like it, fine. If you like the marketing, fine. I don't appreciate the marketing....and that's fine too.

I looked into the marketing a bit and I guess I came off strong before.

Yeah, it says bud light in there somewhere on that busy can with a picture of a strawberry margarita and the words "margarita with a twist". As I stated, I see a lot of confusion and hate for it, and I can't really understand what all the commotion is about, is all. I never appreciate figuratively or literally A-B marketing, which may be why I missed other potentially confusing schemes to get people to try this stuff. I would really only drink this in the absence of some other type of beverage, authentic margarita or well made beer, AB products in general not being my taste anyway...

Sadly, they are probably being very smart in the subtle beer referencing if nothing else to capture the "well hell, I guess I will try it" beer drinkers maybe getting something for the non beer drinking portion of the crowd they are trying please. (That would be me)

I just watched the quick promo vids from budlight.com and they do kind of allude to this somehow being related to bud light lime, but to my taste, it is more of a malt liquor - esq twang with strawberry and lime flavor. If they are using Bud light as the base, and since Bud Light to me has about as little taste as any beer could possibly have, I suppose you could put anything in there and call it whatever you want.

Having one right now. It does have an alcohol bite, I see why they suggest putting it over ice. Once it starts to melt, you have essentially a mixed drink of sorts. The carbonation is pleasant now, and again, I don't hate it. One will be enough though!

I've enjoyed the lime-a-rita a few times by the pool and beach last year. It's not beer but its not bad. A bit rough on the stomach though.

Yeah last time I drank to get drunk my buddy left one at my house so I cracked it open warm and thats when I puked haha.

Back