Really Tart..any fixes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wyoast

Reaction score
I followed Yooper's welch's juice concentrate recipe with some grape/raspberry concentrate on a 1 gallon batch.. I only added 1 tsp of pectic enzyme instead of the 2 that the recipe called for because she said that the wine ended up a little too tart for some people's taste and thet it may be able to skip it all together. I racked the wine over today and added some bentonite to help it clear on out in the next couple of weeks. the sample I took and tasted was good...dry, and the flavor was there but seemed pretty tart. Is there something I can do/add that will mellow that out a bit?

Thanks in advance!

I followed Yooper's welch's juice concentrate recipe with some grape/raspberry concentrate on a 1 gallon batch.. I only added 1 tsp of pectic enzyme instead of the 2 that the recipe called for because she said that the wine ended up a little too tart for some people's taste and thet it may be able to skip it all together. I racked the wine over today and added some bentonite to help it clear on out in the next couple of weeks. the sample I took and tasted was good...dry, and the flavor was there but seemed pretty tart. Is there something I can do/add that will mellow that out a bit?

Thanks in advance!

Enzyme isn't going to make it too tart...sure you aren't thinking of acid blend?

Maybe it's too acidic, you could chalk it to bring up, or cool it to try and drop the tartic acid...or back sweeten.

Enzyme isn't going to make it too tart...sure you aren't thinking of acid blend?

Maybe it's too acidic, you could chalk it to bring up, or cool it to try and drop the tartic acid...or back sweeten.

Yes...sorry I did mean the acid blend.. What do you mean by "chalk it" ? and do you mean like a cold crash for a few days? will that drop the acid out?

Cold crashing will drop out the acid... the Potassium bitartrate.. (Cream of Tarter). Rack it and chill it for a few weeks, not days. Use can use Potassium sorbate to "stabilize" the wine and back sweeten it.

Cold crashing will drop out the acid... the Potassium bitartrate.. (Cream of Tarter). Rack it and chill it for a few weeks, not days. Use can use Potassium sorbate to "stabilize" the wine and back sweeten it.

OK thanks!!

Yes...sorry I did mean the acid blend.. What do you mean by "chalk it" ? and do you mean like a cold crash for a few days? will that drop the acid out?

Calcium or potassium carbonate can be added to increase ph. Cc is percipitated chalk.

If your wine is young let it age, the tannins and acid will mellow a bit.

Back