Ok to pitch??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2thepatcave

Reaction score
On 4/12 I started a yeast starter using Safale s-04 dry ale yeast. I have never used this yeast before. I used 1.75 oz dme with 2 cups of water. Within a few mins I noticed pretty good activity and thought that was fast and good! Then about 7 hrs later I noticed that things slowed down to a crawl. So I fed it with another mix of wort the same as before. Again activity within a few mins and again in a few hrs we are crawling. Is this normal for this yeast? I expect to brew on 4/15. Am I gonna be ok? should I start another yeast?

You dont typically see a bunch of activity with most starters, you will have plenty of yeast. Is this a very high gravity ale?

I expect 1.052 - 1.056. I haven't done this one before. Actually I have not been of brewing for about 15 years and just now getting back into it. This is my first brew. I did a few meads to warm up with and those starters went crazy and stayed that way for a day or two when I pitched. That's why this one gave me some concern. This recipe is straight out of Charlie P's Joy of Home Brewing. AKA LAKKA PALE ALE. ETB Monday 03:00. Im a vampire. I Work nights.

Honestly you're not supposed to do starters with dry yeast, just rehydrate it or pitch directly into wort as it is. But if you've had activity that means it's probably healthy and I bet you will be fine. Personally I have never made a starter with dry yeast so I wouldn't take my word as gospel. And a beer in the 1.050's is not a big beer and doesn't need any "stepping up" of the starter. Keep looking through these forums and you will find plenty of great advice. Good luck with the AKKA LAKKA! :mug:

Back