Can't Anyone Take a Joke?! Some Differences...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brulosopher

Reaction score
So I recently became a user of the homebrewing sub-reddit, mainly because I can access that website from my work computer :rockin:. Anyways, today someone posted a photo of a fermented Imperial IPA, his second batch ever, asking why it smelled so bad. Some people had provided great responses, so I haphazardly decided to make a very unbelievable joke. In doing so, it led to so many silly "downvotes" that my comment was eventually hidden. Here's a photo of my joke:
reddit-59373.png

Now, I was also recently told what "trolling" mean, which certainly wasn't my intent. I merely intended to make a joke. After the backlash, I realized just how much more I appreciated HBT for it's seemingly more lightheartedness, as well as the fact as people can't power-trip with the thumbs down button.

To those who may have viewed this JOKE on Reddit, what say you?

Cheers all!

So your comment was hidden in a different thread so you repost it in a new thread in a format that can not be hidden...

/facepalm

So if you move the beer to secondary 24 hours after primary fermentation has begun, will that help the arsenic flavor go away?

:)

People are too sensitive these days. Just look straight, make no eye contact, and don't say anything. It could be misinterpreted. Maybe we should all work from home and don't leave the house? Sad:(

Meh, not much different from responses you would get from some people around here. I get jokes and sarcasm don't translate well over the internet, but then you throw them around with a bunch of nerdy scientific types who take everything so literally, and you get 40 pages of nonsensical debate. Heaven forbid you make a grammar mistake as well. Then you get that other crowd jump all over you.

I read a local mountain biking forum where it seems every poster tries to one-up the previous one with a joke or sarcastic comment. That crap gets old quick too. I go there to talk about bikes. I come here to talk about beer. Anything else I ignore and move along.

Be sure to tell them over there on that forum that a secondary is not necessary to clear the arsenic. Leaving it in primary long enough will clear it up. The don't want to risk oxidation from unnecessarily transferring :)

Your joke is bad taste.

Sorry, but humor is not universally recognized as such and someone new or uninformed like the OP asking for advice may actually think what you said is true. What would he or she make believe it is not?

Even smilies, winks, and jargon like "/jk" could be missed or misinterpreted. Your reply doesn't include any hints in that direction at all.

Now if this was a (known) seasoned brewer asking the same question your reply could be funny actually.

So your comment was hidden in a different thread so you repost it in a new thread in a format that can not be hidden...

/facepalm

Your joke is bad taste.

Sorry, but humor is not universally recognized as such and someone new or uninformed like the OP asking for advice may actually think what you said is true. What would he or she make believe it is not?

Even smilies, winks, and jargon like "/jk" could be missed or misinterpreted. Your reply doesn't include any hints in that direction at all.

Now if this was a (known) seasoned brewer asking the same question your reply could be funny actually.

Wait a minute, are you guys from that other site?! Zamial, perhaps you meant /r/facepalm? And IslandLizard, aren't some of the best jokes in bad taste? It was a flipping JOKE! I guess from now on I'll stick with the standards- chicken/road, knock-knock, etc. I mean, if a person can't take a simple joke, if they're so far gone that a joke about homebrew producing arsenic, that I did indeed clarify in my responses not to be true, if this is what worries them, perhaps a less stressful hobby is in order.

After reading all this,I have to go with the joker on this one. "Why so serious-a? Let's put a smile on that face...".:D

A little silly if you ask me

Amen.

Lol people on the internet are stupid. I say Troll-on!
copyright-troll.jpg

So if you move the beer to secondary 24 hours after primary fermentation has begun, will that help the arsenic flavor go away?

Only if you use gelatin...

Campden can also help with this :mug:

...or Campden (unverified).

People are too sensitive these days. Just look straight, make no eye contact, and don't say anything. It could be misinterpreted. Maybe we should all work from home and don't leave the house? Sad:(

It sure seems like this is where we're headed. What's funny is the highest rated response on that thread is my best friends...

Who me? I take offense to this. :p
Lol. << this always makes things right.
You suck. Lol
You beet stinks. Lol
See?

You learn something new everyday. Thanks for the tips!

I purchase arsenic at my LHBS it is cheap and works well with most styles.

Use the whole bottle, the whole damn thing if you want to "notice" it.

Crap, arsenic! I'm done brewing :-(

Probably good news, eh? ;)

Meh, not much different from responses you would get from some people around here. I get jokes and sarcasm don't translate well over the internet, but then you throw them around with a bunch of nerdy scientific types who take everything so literally, and you get 40 pages of nonsensical debate. Heaven forbid you make a grammar mistake as well. Then you get that other crowd jump all over you.

I read a local mountain biking forum where it seems every poster tries to one-up the previous one with a joke or sarcastic comment. That crap gets old quick too. I go there to talk about bikes. I come here to talk about beer. Anything else I ignore and move along.

Be sure to tell them over there on that forum that a secondary is not necessary to clear the arsenic. Leaving it in primary long enough will clear it up. The don't want to risk oxidation from unnecessarily transferring :)

Great points, all of them.

Thanks to all of you for being freaking human and not weirdo freakazoids who forgot how to laugh, even at such "tasteless" humor as mine. Cheers!!

After reading all this,I have to go with the joker on this one. "Why so serious-a? Let's put a smile on that face...".:D

I was either a comedian in my former life, or a hit man... still... not... certain.

Thanks, buddy.

I was either a comedian in my former life, or a hit man... still... not... certain.

Thanks, buddy.

No problem. I just see it as an ill-timed bit of humor with some folks that didn't get it right away. Kinda like peanut "hey Mike,nnnnnyowww!"...as he waves his hand over his head.

I don't think you can taste it so it should be fine to drink it all.

This is reddit working. Bad joke, worse advice, downvoted to hell

This is similar to how stack exchange works. If you answer a question, and don't know what you're talking about, you'll get downvoted very quickly. It's always safe commenting on questions/answers, though.

forum + stack exchange = reddit

Thanks, buddy.

the two are not mutually exclusive

I'm envisioning a sitcom; struggling comedian tries to balance his life between stand-up routines and freelance (or government sanctioned) assassinations.

wacky neighbors, not-so-understanding girlfriend, clueless partner

hijinx ensue

I rack on old used copper fittings which results in copper and lead arsenates which have a variety of household and agricultural applications! Brew on!

Disclaimer: Ah yeah, I'm joking.

Lol people on the internet are stupid. I say Troll-on!

These are the same stupid people you see every day. The internet just provides anonymity. Fact of the matter is most people are stupid.

For the record, I'm sufferingcubsfan on reddit - aka the guy who questioned your joke as ignorance/trolling. I did come back and edit my post (clearly marking it as an edit), stating that I had missed option three - that this was a joke.

I love a good joke. I missed the fact that this was a joke.

That being said, I think that's the kind of joke that would fly here on HBT in a thread with experienced members. On the other hand, that reddit post was from a rank newbie who *might* have had a tiny dot of mold in his beer, who was worried that the beer smelled terrible in the fermenter when he stuck his head down and breathed straight CO2.

Reddit is a notorious home for people who screw with other people, which is how the post seemed. Sorry to have taken it the wrong way, and next time, I'll preface my comments with "if this isn't a joke...".

But man, newbies worry enough about ruining batches as is. I'm not sure that you need to crack jokes about poisons in the beer due to a process flaw. I promise that somebody will believe you.

Different sites serve different purposes, which may or may not fit your own preferences. Maybe Reddit is not your thing? Also remember that Reddit doesn't have a traditional forum structure, but a ranking system where your peers determine how valuable your contribution is by voting.

Reddiquette says that "if you think something contributes to conversation, upvote it. If you think it does not contribute to the subreddit it is posted in or is off-topic in a particular community, downvote it".

Someone might fully understand that your arsenic remark is a good natured joke, he might even find it hilarious, but since it's not actually contributing to the topic, he might also rightfully downvote it. That's how it works.

the two are not mutually exclusive

I'm envisioning a sitcom; struggling comedian tries to balance his life between stand-up routines and freelance (or government sanctioned) assassinations.

wacky neighbors, not-so-understanding girlfriend, clueless partner

hijinx ensue

Ahh so basically The Whole Nine Yards then

Some people take stupid reddit points way too seriously, and get upset when they get down voted. I do wish I could down vote people on here sometimes.

I love this site, but even here there are extremes... some people shouldn't post drunken ramblings (a distinct possibility when it's a beer forum), and some are so nerdy, they can't see past their Coke-bottle glasses.
I even see a couple of those guys in this thread. :cross:
I like to think I'm pretty much right down the middle, but even I get going sometimes.

I didn't see your joke at the other site (I don't do blogs), but I have to say, it was pretty obvious that it was a joke, and I did actually lol.

Good times.

But man, newbies worry enough about ruining batches as is. I'm not sure that you need to crack jokes about poisons in the beer due to a process flaw. I promise that somebody will believe you.

I kind of feel, if they're going to base their decision to stay or leave the hobby on a single internet comment without further research, then maybe, just maybe mind you, it might be best then for them to leave the hobby. ;)

As was said before, different sites can take a joke better than others. This is why I prefer HBT. The quality of advice is top-notch and the humor is right-in-the-pocket. There are plenty of other forums on the internet to scratch your hombrewnerd itch, but this is the only one I pay money to.

Anyways, to get this back on track...

So if I am working with RO water, what ppm arsenic should I be shooting for? I usually add 1 tsp gypsum and 1 tsp cacl2 per five gallons... I want to do, like, a Triple IPA -- should I add triple the arsenic?

Back