American(ish) Style Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

11RileyJ

Reaction score
Howdy all,

I'm anxious to get an easy drinker in the keg for the summer. I decided on the American wheat since my girlfriend and I both enjoy Gumballhead and Oberon. I have a couple questions, most related to fermentation. I was gonna use 6 lbs US 2 row, 5 pounds wheat malt, and up to a pound of Vienna malt. The ABV came in right around 5%. I'm gonna hop it with Motueka and Galaxy. About 0.25 oz of Motueka FWH'd and the rest between 15 mins and flameout (I plan to use about 3 oz total). The IBUs come in at 28 and change, right at the BJCP style limit. I understand though that later additions don't contribute as many IBUs as the programs say they will, is this the case?

I've read that a Kolsch yeast might work nice with this. I have the ability to control my temperature and I plan on kegging. Would about 3 weeks at 62F and 2 more around serving temp (while being carbed in the keg) produce a tasty beer?

Finally I realize it may not be "to style" but I would like to dry hop it with about an ounce or 2 of whatever was leftover from the brew. Bad idea?

Thanks in advance for any input. This is the first brew I'm making where I designed the recipe.

Cheers.

I made an American wheat recently that was intended to be inspired by Oberon because it is a friend's favorite beer. I dry hopped with an ounce of Centennial to get some citrus in the nose, and it made the aroma really interesting. So I would certainly dry hop it if you want to add some aroma.

As for yeast, the kolsch yeast is an interesting choice. When I was researching my Oberon inspired recipe, I came across a letter from the brewery responding to and inquiry from a home brewer who had moved away and could not buy Oberon. The brewery said they use a house yeast but that if you cannot culture it, the best alternative is a simple, clean fermenting American ale yeast. So if you like Oberon, you might try your choice of the three interchangeable American ale yeast (US-05, Wyeast 1056, WL0001).

Thanks for the replies.

LHBS didn't have any Galaxy. May have to dip into my supply of Citra if they don't have it by the time this batch is up in the queue.

Any opinions on the Vienna addition? I'm trying to get a bit more orange in the color and just a hint of that malt complexity.

Still undecided on the yeast. I've used the Chico for several pales with satisfactory results. I was looking to experiment a little. I think I'm either gonna go with the recommended Wyeast 1010 or their Kolsch strain. Any experience fermenting with the latter? Jamil Zainasheff talks about fermenting at 65F but doesn't really indicate how long. (http://podbay.fm/show/138029914/e/1188180000?autostart=1)

I'm sure I'll enjoy it either way. Perhaps I'm just looking for nits to pick.

Justin

Back