Lost my drinking/ brewing buddy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bennie1986

Reaction score
I wanted to share this with y'all not as a sob story but because I know this crowd will appreciate it more than anyone.

I started brewing less than a year ago. I approached my father as an avid beer drinker to help finance the operation because I knew he would want in on some unique beer. He was kind of a silent partner in that he was only able to contribute moral support due to his physical disabilities, he was mostly blind at the age of 81.

A few months and as many batches in our home brewing adventure he was hospitalized with and diagnosed with congestive heart failure. Upon his return from the Hospitle he was issued a fluid restriction which limited his beer intake to maybe one beer a week. This was devastating to him as he had at least a beer a day for as long as I knew him.

Over the course of the last few months he seemed to be getting better until he took a turn for the worst a few weeks ago. He was in the Hospitle a few weeks until he passed a few days ago.

Home brewing gave me one last way to bond with my dad. We had been drinking buddies for a while but home brewing helped me expose him to craft beer, which was a big deal for me lol! The thing that meant the most to both of us was that the last beers he got to enjoy were beers that we brewed.

Brewing our own beer is special to all of us but for me it will always mean that much more!

In loving memory of James D. Eierdam

Its great that you were able to have great memories bonding like you did, times that surely will never be forgotten. Sorry for your loss

Bennie,

Sorry to read of your Dad's passing; that can't be easy to bear.
It's great that you found a hobby you could both enjoy, and even if he wasn't stirring wort or rinsing grains, you can know that he appreciated spending time with you.

Greg

Sorry for your loss. It's not easy losing a loved one. You have the memories and beer. I'll tip a few back in his memory.

I see a big brew brewed on his birthday every year and aged for a year then being drank on his birthday while brewing for the next! A calibration of something shared together :mug:

Here's to James! That's really cool that you have those memories of your Dad. I started brewing with my Father-in-law and I know I look forward to every brew day we get together. Cheers mate.

Sorry for your loss. I hope you find peace. I lost my dad more than nine years ago. Three years ago my wife lost her dad on the sixth anniversary of my dad's death. Both were my beer drinking buddies, but both died before I got into homebrewing. My second batch ever was brewed on the anniversary of our dads' deaths - what my wife and I now call Dads' Day - I called it Remembering Dad IPA. Here's to your dad and friend.

I see a big brew brewed on his birthday every year and aged for a year then being drank on his birthday while brewing for the next! A calibration of something shared together :mug:

+1. Thanks for sharing. Sorry for your loss.

I only hope more people could find such a special bond with their fathers. Cheers. Thanks for sharing

It sounds like he had a good son right up to the end. I hope my children will be there with me sharing their hobbies and such right up until my time comes. My condolences and a toast to your Father.

Raising a pint to James D. Eierdam!

My sincerest deep thoughts and condolences to you and your family for your loss!

Having a drink on your dad tonight. Let him rest in peace. Lost my grandfather three years ago last week. A recovered alcoholic in his later years, yet a home brew enthusiast in his son and me. I miss him every day.

edmanster said:

A great idea!

I'm having a beer now in memory of James. My dad died before I started brewing, and I just know he would've made me the most awesome grain mill ever. Glad you got to share with your father.

I'm really sorry for you loss. It's so great that you were able to bond with your father in that way. Cheers to both of you!!

Cheers, to your beloved father! I'm sure the brewing time with you meant so much to him.

James is my middle name, and I will hoist one to your father. Sorry for your loss, but happy that he went through life having a good son.

condolences to you about your dad.

man!..... i wish i could've had your experience.

my father passed while i was in boot camp.:(

the memories will always have your dad near you.;)
hang tuff!

GD51:tank:

Sorry to hear about his passing. I wish my dad was here to try some of my beers. We were buddies as well as father & son,so I feel ya there. Had one of my dark lagers this morning,which I don't usually do. Now I know why...:tank:

Relish the good times you had with your Dad. I lost mine last August at 83 years young due to organ failure from systemic sepsis. He'd been in poor health for years but was as sharp as a tack and was expected to recover.

It's hard not to indulge your parents at that age. They'd lived for that long and been through so much, so you figure you'll just let them enjoy their quality of life in their golden years and not harp on them so much over what their vices are. I'm glad you let your father enjoy the end of his life and i'm sure he still supports your "outlaw brewing spirit" up in Heaven. :)

I'm very sorry for your loss. Cherish the memories that you had with your father. I don't have the type of relationship with my father that we would be able to do things together like that. Be glad that you came together as father and son as well as "buddies".

Cheers!

AGREE. Sorry for your loss. This sounds like a great idea to keep the memories going! Figure out a nice cool unique beer that he loved, and name it after him, and make up some cool labels.

^^This is why I named my brewery after pop's old CB handle. White Cougar Brewery. This way,he'll always be remembered. The name also goes on all my labels I design.

My condolences on your loss.

I too lost my father here a couple years ago. I'm just glad he lived long enough for me to get old enough to realize what a great guy he was while he was still alive.

My "brewery" is "Silver Fox Brewery" in memorial to him. He was a crafty bastage, with gray hair, so he ultimately became "fox", then "silver fox."

I know it wasn't the point of your post, but I'm sorry for your loss. I wish I had been closer to my dad. Even so, I'm having a glass of my Edmond Fitzgerald Porter in his memory. :mug:

They used to call David Pearson "the silver fox" too. He was the same way at the wheel of a Grand National Stock Car. My pop was the White Cougar on the CB. So I named my brewery after that.

So sorry to hear of your loss. Great story, glad you shared it! He will always be there with you sharing a home brew, Cheers!

Sorry for your loss. Cherish the memories. Maybe you could brew a batch of his fave beer every year on his birthday. That would make that beer that much more special.

I share a somewhat similar yet slightly different tale. My favorite drinking buddy was a guy names O.T. (Stood for Old Timer) OT was THE most unique individual I have ever met. And old hippie if you will. Looked like Willie Nelson. One of the funniest people I know. Anyways when I met OT it was in my favorite Irish Pub here in Rochester. I wa snot a big beer drinker at that point, just liked the people there and it was less than a block from my house. OT was actually not the person that got me started drinking craft beers, that was the bartendress Shana. However OT was the one that introduced me to my first favorite "non-commercial" beer - Brooklyn Summer Ale. I was blown away that it actually had FLAVOR. One of OT's things was when we drank a beer the bartender had to balance a lemon wedge on the rim. When the lemon would eventually fall into the glass that was OT's tribute to the sinking of the Edmund Fitzgerald. Told you he was unique. Anyways it was right then that I started looking into home brewing and because of OT I chose to make a Brooklyn Summer Ale clone. And it was truly awesome. Even OT loved it. But that was what got me over the edge and he was my influence for trying all the new craft beers that would come in to Shamrock Jacks. I LOVE trying them all. Most I like, some I don't. But I love experimenting. Sadly about two months ago OT passed away due to a sudden heart attack. I miss my drinking buddy and his unique sense of humor. But to honor him and his memory every glass of beer I drink has a lemon on the edge. Cheers to your dad and cheers to all of our drinking buddies!!!

Latest posts

Back