I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know how to tie a bow, does that count. :p
Can you tie one of these?
gordian_knot.jpg

That looks like a monkey's fist with chain. I think the chain that's been rolling around in the back of my truck for a few years looks like that but I couldn't do it on purpose;)

BobbiLynn, I think it's pretty great that your son wants to sew and make his own stuff! Lot of kids would just ask their parents buy them the costume, not put their own work into making it. You must be a pretty good mom BobbiLynn.. maybe a hard a$$ mom. That's good. :mug:

Man, the cold has got to be messing with my rice wine. Here is a batch of red rice wine, and oolong rice wine at two weeks. Both have been made with Jasmine rice. Here's a picture of an experiment with different grains I did at two weeks. The jasmine rice in this experiment is second from the right.

redriceyeastandoolong3.JPG

ricewine6-5twoweeks.jpg

Dan.. It all seems like such an easy thing, yet at the same time it's so difficult.

It's cliché, but "Why can't we all just get along?"..

I've had a good amount to drink tonight (D@mn that new keezer! Worse than Lays potato chips), so I won't get all deep with religion, faith, and belief. I'll just say... Everyone in this thread is alright by me! You're all a bunch of good folks, and I'm glad to know ya'!

I've had a few to many beers tonight too. Right now this song seems golden.

:D

Last edited by a moderator:
BobbiLynn, I think it's pretty great that your son wants to sew and make his own stuff! Lot of kids would just ask their parents buy them the costume, not put their own work into making it. You must be a pretty good mom BobbiLynn.. maybe a hard a$$ mom. That's good. :mug:

My kids have never asked me to buy them a costume, they asked me to help them make costumes. When they were little, we'd talk about what they wanted to be for Halloween and always made our own costumes. One year, it was really fun, a friend and I and her kids and mine all dressed up like M & Ms. Everyone got to choose there own colors and the costumes doubled as pillows. A couple of the kids still have their M & M pillows.

I was never a great mom, at least according to outsiders. My kids were never babied or coddled. They knew where money came from and how you earned it by age 5. People say I was too rough on them. They had to help earn grocery money if they wanted to eat. I was told many times I was expecting too much from them, ease off, let them be kids. But, they were kids, be kids all you want once the work is done!! Heck, when work was done, I'd be a kid with them!! Work hard, play hard!

Oh, and both of them think I was a great mom and know that I did my best. They appreciate that and we are very close even now that they are both grown. So to hell with what other people thought!

That's a good point Dan. I grew up helping my mom and dad make or fix something. I sewed a few Halloween costumes myself back in the day. I have three houses in various stages of renovation. My three boys spend a lot of time "helping" me with projects. The oldest is going on eight so they are not really much help but they are learning and love power tools:)

By the way, apfelwein with a splash of mountain dew is pretty damn good!

My kids have never asked me to buy them a costume, they asked me to help them make costumes. When they were little, we'd talk about what they wanted to be for Halloween and always made our own costumes. One year, it was really fun, a friend and I and her kids and mine all dressed up like M & Ms. Everyone got to choose there own colors and the costumes doubled as pillows. A couple of the kids still have their M & M pillows.

I was never a great mom, at least according to outsiders. My kids were never babied or coddled. They knew where money came from and how you earned it by age 5. People say I was too rough on them. They had to help earn grocery money if they wanted to eat. I was told many times I was expecting too much from them, ease off, let them be kids. But, they were kids, be kids all you want once the work is done!! Heck, when work was done, I'd be a kid with them!! Work hard, play hard!
You remind me a little of my mom BL. Being poor teaches you some important things.

Man, the cold has got to be messing with my rice wine. Here is a batch of red rice wine, and oolong rice wine at two weeks. Both have been made with Jasmine rice. Here's a picture of an experiment with different grains I did at two weeks. The jasmine rice in this experiment is second from the right.

I've been watching those rice wine threads. Cool experiment. Let us know what works out best. I will have to order up some ingredients soon.

Being poor teaches you some important things.

I even sewed most of their clothes and they weren't embarrassed at all by it. I would let them pick out the "cool" fabrics and colors they wanted. My daughter was one of the best dressed kids at the school. I remember walking her to class one day and a little boy behind us, said, look, Mom, that's the girl who always looks like a bride, isn't she pretty? My daughter loved lacy, pretty things, so that's what I would make for her.

Ah, now I am rambling on and on again, I miss my kids. Hopefully both of them will be taking the trip to Pennsylvania with me in August. Son is definitely going and we are going to make a week of it. My daughter stays so busy, hasn't given a definite answer yet. She says August is sooooo far away.... she is young.

Ischavio, if there were a way to double LIke, consider this one

:mug:!

Thanks Dan. They really are my inspiration. I'm trying to fix up my grandparent's old house for the family. It's a lot of work but will be worth it in the end. It's right across the street from school and much bigger than our little house we're in now. I figure the three of them should be able to tote a sheet of drywall up the stairs right?:mug:

Thanks Dan. They really are my inspiration. I'm trying to fix up my grandparent's old house for the family. It's a lot of work but will be worth it in the end. It's right across the street from school and much bigger than our little house we're in now. I figure the three of them should be able to tote a sheet of drywall up the stairs right?:mug:

Best memories in my life were working on projects with my dad. You're doing it right Ischavio. The best of days! :mug:

I even sewed most of their clothes and they weren't embarrassed at all by it. I would let them pick out the "cool" fabrics and colors they wanted. My daughter was one of the best dressed kids at the school. I remember walking her to class one day and a little boy behind us, said, look, Mom, that's the girl who always looks like a bride, isn't she pretty? My daughter loved lacy, pretty things, so that's what I would make for her.

Ah, now I am rambling on and on again, I miss my kids. Hopefully both of them will be taking the trip to Pennsylvania with me in August. Son is definitely going and we are going to make a week of it. My daughter stays so busy, hasn't given a definite answer yet. She says August is sooooo far away.... she is young.

That's a sweet story Bobbie. I was never embarrassed by the clothes my Mom made for me either. I did hate the brown bell bottom courderoys my grandma used to buy for me though.

That's a sweet story Bobbie. I was never embarrassed by the clothes my Mom made for me either. I did hate the brown bell bottom courderoys my grandma used to buy for me though.

When I started making all of my daughter's clothes, my son got jealous. Sometimes for boy's clothes, it was cheaper to just buy them. But when I realized he was jealous, started making his too. They grew up in Florida, so it was mostly T-shirts and shorts for him, in the "cool" fabric he wanted.

When I started making all of my daughter's clothes, my son got jealous. Sometimes for boy's clothes, it was cheaper to just buy them. But when I realized he was jealous, started making his too. They grew up in Florida, so it was mostly T-shirts and shorts for him, in the "cool" fabric he wanted.

I spent more than a few hours looking at patterns and picking out fabric with Mom in the old Shopko store. Just last Christmas she made me a fleece Packer blanket. I still drop off my torn clothes with her for mending and I think she enjoys it. She can sew anything! My wife on the other hand does not own a needle....I sew on buttons and such.

Pretty sure you have a doctorate in psychology BL. :mug:

Here's a song that kept playing through my head tonight so found it and posted :eek:

This might be better well played another night but I'm in retro mode and going to bed in a minute.

Live. The Logical Song Roger Hodgson with Orchestra. You won't hear music like this from today's artist. Good or bad. Times change but this will always be classic.

This might be better well played another night but I'm in retro mode and going to bed in a minute.

Live. The Logical Song Roger Hodgson with Orchestra. You won't hear music like this from today's artist. Good or bad. Times change but this will always be classic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcX1qA1Etc8

Awesome song. Love it! Reminds me of my midlife crisis and my favorite FNM song:

Some nights are like that for me too, like a crack fiend trying to get another hit. Usually when I am trying to figure something out and waiting for help.

Interesting you say that. From a neuroscience perspective, the "reward" you get when you're fishing for replies like that and find one is nearly the same as you'd get from a line of cocaine or a hit of crack.

I'm up. Unfortunately. May be working on a change of scenery. Having some clashing with a supervisor and its just not worth it any more. Just need to figure out benefits stuff with the wife being preggo and all.

BobbiLynn said:
Oh, and both of them think I was a great mom and know that I did my best. They appreciate that and we are very close even now that they are both grown. So to hell with what other people thought!

Too many people don't teach their kids how to take care of themselves. Kids go off to college not knowing how to cook or even do laundry. And I can tell you definitely play as hard as you work!

lschiavo said:
By the way, apfelwein with a splash of mountain dew is pretty damn good!

My first apfelwein got a little sour, and Mountain Dew was the only thing made it drinkable. I'm going to try it with my "good" batch.

Best memories in my life were working on projects with my dad. You're doing it right Ischavio. The best of days! :mug:

You know Dan those projects were the same for me. Dad was stationed in Hawaii and decided to build his own stereo. He built the amp from a heath kit and then he and I built the cabinet and speakers. Well I say I helped but in truth I was much to young. I now have the speakers and they are my pride and joy.

When Dad retired from the Navy he decided to build his own house. We worked on that for 18 months every night after work and every weekend until we could move in. I was 14 at the time and remember once a week we would get a cold soda pop while working on the house. Good memories for sure and it taught me how to work.

I remember BEGGING my mom for some bellbottom pants as a kid so she made some. Man that sucked trying to walk in the snow in those dumb things.

Remember the pants from Sears that were guaranteed to never wear out. Man those things must have been made out of kevlar or something. They were terrible to walk in as well.

I took my kid over to cut the wood last weekend since we kind of made a family thing out of it. Mind you my kid is a girl and 15 years old. I overheard her telling some of the other kids her age who were complaining about the work and wanting to go home that we would not leave until the job was finished. The kid said he would talk to me and see when we were done and she told the kid I would say when the job is done and working works where whishy washy wishing wont.

Needless to say I was terrible proud of her:D

I think for some of us, it shows our age and the era our parents brought us up in for our ability to cook, sew, hunt, fish, garden and generally fend for ourselves and others. My folks made sure we knew how to do everything needed around the farm by the time we were 7 or 8 years old. That way as my Dad puts it, "I could trust they wouldn't totally destroy the place while I'm out in the field."
We could have a full supper ready for him by the time he come in, laundry would be done and the house would be clean. Mom would usually come home from the telephone company job about an hour before Dad and make sure everything was just so. They wouldn't let us throw away string, aluminum (tin) foil, rubber bands, even bown grocery paper was saved until it was near on useless.
My Wife and Kids have learned all that from me, although they do think I go overboard, for example - why you saving these old pickle jars? My answer, they got lids that screw on tight, I can use them for something!
I think many have forgotten the past and how you had to know how to make do and if you didn't 'recycle' you wouldn't necessarily have that item for awhile or longer. I think many have become so used to the instant gratification of - we can just run over to Wally World and get it that they no longer take satisfaction in quality home produced goods, let alone make it themselves. My youngest son and daughter are very much the instant gratification types. All 4 of my kids are my step-children, I married into the family with 4 instant teenagers 13 years ago. the 2 oldest have taken to my teachings pretty well, the 2 youngest went more the way of their biological sperm donor.
Some of what my folks passed on to me is, if you don't know how to do something find a book, a mentor or some other method to learn. Through these methods, I have learned many more tasks and hobbies and my Wife is expanding her abilities as well.
This is running longer than intended, it's just that some of what you were saying struck a chord in me and I appreciate the opportunity to share with similar minded folks.
Thank you.:mug:

Funny story. My father insisted I go to school and not follow in his footsteps. He's a pretty gifted carpenter, but its a rough living, even in the union. He absolutely refused to show me anything relating to carpentry, for this reason, until I was well into my twenties. Ever try hanging a curtain rod with your father giving step by step instructions over the cell phone? Aint easy ;)

Once, however, when I was flunking some subjects in middle school (sometimes the discovery of girls must be tempered) the s.o.b. woke me up on a saturday to bring me to a job site. Carrying toolboxes, carrying shingles and sheet rock, sweeping. Ran me ragged. "Do you like this kind of work" "Heck no" "Then do your damn homework and go to college. This will be your everyday if I dont see some improvement."

My Dad used his GI Bill (he did most of his Service during Korea) to get 'modern' training on automotive repair in the early to mid '70s. He got a butt load of tools and equipment and used me and one other brother as his assistants. We learned to change old VW Beetles into Sand Rails and Dune Buggies and how to take care of the car, the trucks and the tractor. He taught us how to work on boat motors and of course we learned how to drive and operate all of this stuff.

Interestingly enough, my dad (with the help of my grandmother) taught me how to cook. To him cooking is more of a hobby and a love than a possible career, so it was safe. That and you have to do it or you'll spend a fortune on takeout.

Back