Starsan in secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KneeHighBrewery

Reaction score
So I just racked a saison to secondary (I know) and there's still a lot of starsan bubbles left over.

Do I need to worry?

image-4254748488.jpg

Nah. I have never had a problem with Starsan. Love the stuff. Don't fear the foam. In terms of when those bubble break back down into liquid, it's such a minute amount, that it won't have any impact.

Awesome, I had read not to fear the bubbles. But reading it was one thing, seeing it sitting on top of my beer was another!

Just checked on it this morning and it looks fine, bubbles are gone.

star san breaks down into yeast nutrient.

Is this true?

The foam is a GOOD thing. In pushed out most of the oxygen from your secondary by filling up the space between the top of your beer and the opening of the carboy (assuming you slapped a stopper on it). Now kneel before the foam gods and praise them for granting you the gift of non cardboard tasting beer!!!!

No problems... You added 5 gallons of beer to some foam... if you had the sanitizer at the correct strength… and you removed 99% of it think how diluted it is now…

Here is a description from Jon Palmers “How to Brew”

Star San
Star San is an acidic sanitizer from the makers of PBW and was developed especially for sanitizing brewing equipment. It requires only 30 seconds of contact time and does not require rinsing. Unlike other no-rinse sanitizers, Star San will not contribute off-flavors at higher than recommended concentrations. The recommended usage is one fluid ounce per 5 gallons of water. The solution can be put in a spray bottle and used as a spray-on sanitizer for glassware or other items that are needed in a hurry. The foam is just as effective as immersion in the solution. Also, the surfactant used in Star San will not affect the head retention of beer like those used in detergents.
Star San is my preferred sanitizer for all usages except those that I can conveniently do in the dishwasher. A solution of Star San has a long usage life and an open bucket of it will remain active for several days. Keeping a solution of Star San in a closed container will increase its shelf life. The viability of the solution can be judged by its clarity; it turns cloudy as the viability diminishes.
One last note on this product: Because it is listed as a sanitizer and bactricide by the FDA and EPA, the container must list disposal warnings that are suitable for pesticides. Do not be alarmed, it is less hazardous to your skin than bleach.

Latest posts

Back