Keggle pickup tube clogging from pellets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BassBeer

Reaction score
Hey guys! Doing my first 10 gallon batch and using my new Keggle. This recipe calls for about 10 ounces of hops. All I have are pellet hops and I'm trying to decide if I should use a hop bag or throw them directly into the kettle. My pick up tube is off centered, about 2 inches from the sidewall pointing straight down. Do you think if I create a whirlpool and let everything settle into the middle it will still clog the tube? I do have a hop bag on hand, but have read that using one can reduce flavor of the hops. Any help appreciated!

It's going to be pretty tough for a dip tube to avoid 10 ounces of pellets in a keggle. I'd go with some large paint strainer bags for that much...

Cheers!

Thanks. It's actually 8 ounces, and all I have on hand is a hop bag from Midwest. Accidentally chucked my bittering addition (2oz) in before starting this thread, So I'll only be adding 6 ounces to the bag. Hope this works out. I'll just try to circulate the bag around the kettle as much as possible. Thanks again.

A few years ago I took a sheet of fine mesh stainless screen and cobbled together a permanent strainer for my pickup tube.

It worked so well I've used it ever since. It catches even the fine hop debris from pellets, but has enough surface area that I can gravity drain my kettle almost completely.

2013-04-03 18.22.51 (Small).jpg

A few years ago I took a sheet of fine mesh stainless screen and cobbled together a permanent strainer for my pickup tube.

It worked so well I've used it ever since. It catches even the fine hop debris from pellets, but has enough surface area that I can gravity drain my kettle almost completely.

Would you mind posting a picture?

Another option is to use a hop spider, or (what I went with) get a filter from Chad at Arbor Fabricating http://arborfab.com/. Either option works very well. I liked the filter because I can just hang it on the edge of my kettle and toss the hop additions into it. When I'm finished brewing, just pull it out and you're done.

Latest posts

Back