Dry Hopping in Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neo-brewer

Reaction score
I presently have a Belgian IPA in the secondary that I dry hopped about a week and a half ago. I plan to bottle this weekend, but I am looking for tips to leave behind the layer of hops in the carboy. I will be careful when I siphon the beer into the bottling bucket, but I will inevitably bring some of the hops along. I have dry hopped before and didn't notice any negative favors from some of the hops being bottled (in fact I have no issue with sediment, particularly yeast sediment, but I don't want the hops to add any negative favors). Does anyone have any tips to leave the hops behind - other than careful siphoning? I don't want to use a strainer due to added oxygen. Perhaps I am worrying over nothing, I am just excited about this recipe! Next time I'll try a :)

Pppp

Try a sanitized muslin bag attached with a rubber band to your siphon. Works for me.

What about dry hopping in muslin bag? I'm planning to dry hop in my 3 week primary for about a week at the end and just toss the bag into the bucket. I guess this WON'T work with a carboy though...

the first time I dry hopped in my carboy I used a muslin bag and while not impossible to get back out it was kind of a PITA to squeeze it back out. Now I just dump the pellets in loose and do something like Shred. I cut a section of a painters bag/strainer to a square and zip tie it to the end of the siphon, all sanitized of course and the last 2-3 batches of dry hopped brews have been clean and free of hop material.

Back