I think I messed up my hefeweizen....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jongrill

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I brewed a one gallon hefeweizen that I decided to add cherries too in a secondary. On Sunday I transferred the Hefe from its bucket to a one gallon jug over the cherries!

I used a small can of Oregon dark sweet cherries. Not knowing really what I was doing....I have never used a fruit yet...I poured the whole can syrup and all into the jug. It turned the beer beet red...not a big deal..however today I discovered that the beer was actively fermenting again. Im worried this is going to negatively affect the beer somehow.

So, did I mess this up?

image-196499238.jpg

image-3007473577.jpg

IMO I don't think you messed up until you taste the finished product. I'll agree you probably did not need to add the syrup.

Should be fine, yeast are eating up some sugars from the cherries+extract. Let it ferment out and be sure it is done fermenting before you bottle (take gravity readings 3 days separated once you see the krausen fall back down...if they're the same then you should be good)

Sounds interesting - I've never seen a cherry style hefeweizen before. Let us know how it turns out.

Like others have said, you added additional fermentable sugars to the carboy. It'll boost your alcohol content (not sure how much), but I doubt you'll get any serious off flavors.

Back