Flaked barley for nitro effect?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DustBow

Reaction score
Hello All,

I use 4-8 ozs of flaked barley a lot for head retention and body.

Could you use like 2 pounds of the stuff (5 gallon batch) to try and mimic a "nitro effect." I'm not talking about a stout either. I mean in a pale ale or ESB or some other "medium colored" ale.
I don't mind the haze that will come with it. Flavor contribution would be minimal too, correct?

Was thinking about trying it this weekend but don't want to waste the time or effort if it would produce something bad

thanks

you can use up to 10-12 % of flacked barley to try to end up with a very creamy foam effect. It work preatty well only with low carbonation level of the beer. one of my favorite recipe is some kind of "american bitter" where I use 10% of flacked barley and prime the final beer just to obtain 1,7 volume.

The only problem coms during sparging. to prevent stuck sparge you can have a rest at 40°C for 15 minuts (not much activity from protase enzymes at that temperature so your foam will be saved..) which helps a lot, or just use rice hulls of course.

Back