Rinsing Sodium Percarbonate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

durbo

Reaction score
So the sanitiser I use to sanitise my equipment is a standard sodium percarbonate powder that came with my original Coopers home brew setup. Now I know that starsan does not need to be rinsed but would this?

Also, I'm not sure how much I should be using. The bottle says 40grams (4 cap fulls) per litre and this seems like a lot to me as some of it doesn't seem to dissolve if I put any more than 20 grams per litre. Is this how it is supposed to be?

I wouldn't used the powdered cooper's "pseudo santitizer" as a sanitizer, but like oxyclean, as a cleanser. Replace the words "coopers powdered sanitizer" with the word "One step," and read what I say in this thread. The reasoning is the same.

I used that stuff once with my Cooper's micro brew kit when it was new. Stuff smells like chlorine water when mixed to me. Had to do a few hot water rinses to get that bleach smell out. I went & got starsan for the next time. Still prefer starsan.

Thanks guys, I'm a little worried because I didn't rinse my bottling bucket at all then dumped my entire Brew in it and it is now jut sitting there because of my problem with the bottle filler that I also posted about yesterday. I'm sure it will be fine. It's all a learning process isn't it. Cheers

Thanks guys, I'm a little worried because I didn't rinse my bottling bucket at all then dumped my entire Brew in it and it is now jut sitting there because of my problem with the bottle filler that I also posted about yesterday. I'm sure it will be fine. It's all a learning process isn't it. Cheers

Hey how did that turn out for you? I didn't rinse my secondary fermenter just now after using a sodium percarbonate cleaner. I'm worried about oxidation of the brew mainly. Let me know how things came out, thanks!

This was a while ago but as far as I recall I think it turned out fine. Wasn't my best brew for other reasons but I don't think it became infected due to not rinsing the percarbonate. I use star san now because it's not necessary to rinse and is heaps easier.

It won't get infected from not rinsing it. But it could get a band aid like off flavor,or maybe solvent like. I've used Starsan & PBW ever since. Still have the lil jar of the Cooper's sodium percarbonate.

I'm not worried about infection at all; sodium percarbonate generates hydrogen peroxide which is a great disinfectant. Unfortunately, the mechanism of disinfection is oxidation! Which is bad for a beer going in to 2ndary I hear. Anyway I'm leaving it in for a few weeks in hopes that the yeast will be able to undo some of the damage I've done.

Not that it matters - I think we've all learned that it's a bad idea not to rinse your cleanser, regardless of the mechanism - but I will post back in a few weeks (after bottling/conditioning) to let everyone know how things came out.

Once you start using StarSan, you'll wonder why you didn't switch to it earlier. 1/5th ounce makes a gallon of reusable true no rinse sanitizer, so even the small (8oz) bottle lasts a long, long time. I always have some on hand in a spray bottle during just about any brewing chore plus some in a plastic bucket.

I agree 100%. I'd never switch back to sodium percarbonate or the like.

Now a spray bottle filled with star san, I think you might be on to something here. Brilliant.

I agree 100%. I'd never switch back to sodium percarbonate or the like.

Now a spray bottle filled with star san, I think you might be on to something here. Brilliant.

I wish that I could claim that one as an original idea, but I picked it up here. Make sure to use a good quality spray bottle as it will get used a lot.

Back