irish stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dj_blitze

Reaction score
Hi guys

I started a coopers irish stout about 2 days ago now. ive noticed there has been no air lock activity from my brew, i done all the usual checks like my lid etc but everything seemed safe, my brew has formed a bubbly surface on the top does that mean my brew is fermenting?

any help or info would be appreciated.

dj_blitze said:
Hi guys

I started a coopers irish stout about 2 days ago now. ive noticed there has been no air lock activity from my brew, i done all the usual checks like my lid etc but everything seemed safe, my brew has formed a bubbly surface on the top does that mean my brew is fermenting?

any help or info would be appreciated.

If you've noticed a bubbly surface, as you've described it, in your fermenter, then you are making beer! Chances are that your lid is not air tight. I wouldn't worry about it. Relax and have a homebrew, in the words of Charlie Papazian. Check your gravity in about a week and you should see it sitting somewhere around 1.012-1.014.

Keep us updated!

If you've noticed a bubbly surface, as you've described it, in your fermenter, then you are making beer! Chances are that your lid is not air tight. I wouldn't worry about it. Relax and have a homebrew, in the words of Charlie Papazian. Check your gravity in about a week and you should see it sitting somewhere around 1.012-1.014.

Keep us updated!

Yeah sweet. there is always an anxiety about these little things. with me being a newby i seem to worry about the slightest thing, i will post on the right thread about how the beer turns out, im really excited about it its my 1st stout and im anxious to see how it turns out, thanks alot guys :)

Oh btw my temp is reading around 68f which seems normal for this beer?

That actually seems a bit high. Ideally you'd like to see that temp around 62-64F at the beginning of the ferment. After the primary ferment phase completes, the temperature is less critical. But definitely for the first 4-5 days, you'll want to keep that temp as close to the low 60s as possible.

Great advice. my temperature is now reading around 64f which has came down a tad. i wont be upset if it drops slightly more.

One more question guys, after secondary and i go to bottle my stout. how much sugar should i use in my bottles to carbonate my stout?

I don't think a secondary is necessary for this beer (or almost any beer). I would skip it if I were you. There are a ton of calculators out there to determine how much sugar to use. I use this one and it works great: http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/.

With all due respect to peterj, he is absolutely correct.

Having said that, I just want to say that (as peterj has implied) racking to a secondary fermenter is not necessary to make better beer. The main purpose many do it is to clarify the beer further. Seeing as how a stout is so dark, some believe that clarifying a beer is not necessary. Ultimately, it simply comes down to a personal choice. Some feel that the risk of infection isn't worth it (though in bigger beers, after fermentation, IMHO, I don't worry about that too much) I'm not suggesting one way or another if you should or shouldn't secondary. I'm giving you the reasons for doing it and letting you choose whether or not it's right for you.

With all due respect to peterj, he is absolutely correct.

Having said that, I just want to say that (as peterj has implied) racking to a secondary fermenter is not necessary to make better beer. The main purpose many do it is to clarify the beer further. Seeing as how a stout is so dark, some believe that clarifying a beer is not necessary. Ultimately, it simply comes down to a personal choice. Some feel that the risk of infection isn't worth it (though in bigger beers, after fermentation, IMHO, I don't worry about that too much) I'm not suggesting one way or another if you should or shouldn't secondary. I'm giving you the reasons for doing it and letting you choose whether or not it's right for you.

Once again i appreciate your help and advice. i havent ever done a secondary with any of my beers tbh i didnt know it was a possibility, bearing in mind what you said i dont think i will bother with this one as it is dark and no need to make the beer clearer. thanks again

If it is a 5 gallon batch then use 5 oz priming sugar.
I agree that secondary isn't needed for this style.
Go 1 or 2 weeks in primary.
Bottle prime go min 3 weeks before drinking it.
I personally see a HUGE difference between drinking them at week 2 vs 3
and yes they get even better at 4 weeks after bottling
none have survived to week 5 after bottle. :p

If it is a 5 gallon batch then use 5 oz priming sugar.
I agree that secondary isn't needed for this style.
Go 1 or 2 weeks in primary.
Bottle prime go min 3 weeks before drinking it.
I personally see a HUGE difference between drinking them at week 2 vs 3
and yes they get even better at 4 weeks after bottling
none have survived to week 5 after bottle. :p

Haha i really cant wait to try it now, all good things come to those who wait :) :mug:

My Patersbier is a nice clear golden color after 3 weeks in primary. I dont have to move my primary to rack to the bottling bucket so maybe that helps not stirring things up moving it. Most of my beers go 4 weeks in primary as I'm not in any hurry.

Edited: spell check got me

Back