6 pack trade anyone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thood6

Reaction score
The sampling section seems to be all commercial. Anyone interested in switching a sixer of assorted beers for critique?

tyzippers said:
Are you talking about trading homebrew?

Yes I am. I'm talking about organizing a swap and critiquing the beers without the formality of a compettion

I could be down with that. I really don't have any friends that give a damn about beer, so I can't really get any decent feedback. What kind of trade were you thinking about?

I've only got a 70/ Scottish Ale and a Milk Chocolate Stout ready to bottle (still needs to carb)

I could be good for a couple bottles here and there - I mostly keg and only pull a few off to bottle at kegging time.

Even if we can't get a full six pack I think it would be cool to get a group to send a couple each.

From what I've seen on HBT it is legal. Shipping via USPS is not. UPS and FedEx have policies against it but it is not illegal and done regularly.

As long as we package it well and ship it through a private carrier it should be fine. Any ideas on how to set it up? Some kind of round robin or something? Or would y'all rather just straight up trade with one other person?

Yeah, I am in as well.. hmm we could have community beer shippers.. have to check out u-line... unless someone has a couple old beer of the month shippers laying around...

jay_mack1 said:
Yeah, I am in as well.. hmm we could have community beer shippers.. have to check out u-line... unless someone has a couple old beer of the month shippers laying around...

I have some of those containers I'm probably goin to use.

I'll do it, however it would be nice to be able to choose what you get in trade. For example I love ipas and pale ales..lagers etc....but wouldn't know anything about a stout etc. I have five different kinds bottled and ready to trade.

reinstone said:
I'll do it, however it would be nice to be able to choose what you get in trade. For example I love ipas and pale ales..lagers etc....but wouldn't know anything about a stout etc. I have five different kinds bottled and ready to trade.

If its going to be a big communal switch then somebody will should put together an excel sheet with everybody on it and their preferences(I could do it). Otherwise we can just keep this thread open and for instance I would post the info on my six pack and see if anyone would be willing to swap 1 for 1.

So let's take a little vote and see what we think would be better.

I can get shipper box for about 8.00 not sure how much it would cost to get it sent in... hold 12 beers.. but could easily just have six...

I think it would work better if we pair up (or quad up) rather than ship to everyone who's interested.

I'd also be interested in having the recipes sent for each brew if people are cool with that.

I'd be down for this one myself. only have 2 beers ready atm though. Got a Belgian Dubbel and an Oatmeal Stout that I'm bottling tonight hopefully. Let me know when where and how ;)

The biggest issue I see is the logistics of who trades with whom and when. I could see a number system working well with a trade every 2-4 months (subject to a vote)
Example:
1 sends to 2
2 sends to 3
3 sends to 4 and so on. Last number, in turn, sends to 1.

To combat from each person only getting the beer of the number above them we could "sound off" a month prior to the next shipping date and everyone is numbered then. By sound off I mean give a "yes I am participating this month." This also helps people that brew less frequently or, god forbid, run out of beer to ship. It gives them the ability to opt out and an "if you don't ship you don't get policy."

It would almost have to have its own sub category on the forums page, if a moderator would allow and create it, with a main rules thread and a new "sign up" thread for each swap. I just think a separate thread would make it easiest to issue numbers each rotation and give the ability to easily delete rotations that have already occurred, keeping the site a bit tidy.

Just my two cents.

I am in it would be nice to see how I am doing the guys I give my beer to enjoin getting free beer. I have an ipa a bock and an oatmeal stout almost done.

Before you commit, I would suggest checking out shipping costs to make sure it is "worth it" for you. It could cost $30+ to ship 6 bottles.

If possible it makes a lot of sense to meet up with a local HBT'er and swap in person.

Before you commit, I would suggest checking out shipping costs to make sure it is "worth it" for you. It could cost $30+ to ship 6 bottles.

If possible it makes a lot of sense to meet up with a local HBT'er and swap in person.

I just checked on UPS website and for me to ship from Louisiana to New York it would cost 15 dollars assuming a normal box with 10 pounds of weight. That is not that cost prohibitive for me and my local scene is lacking right now.

The biggest issue I see is the logistics of who trades with whom and when. I could see a number system working well with a trade every 2-4 months (subject to a vote)
Example:
1 sends to 2
2 sends to 3
3 sends to 4 and so on. Last number, in turn, sends to 1.

To combat from each person only getting the beer of the number above them we could "sound off" a month prior to the next shipping date and everyone is numbered then. By sound off I mean give a "yes I am participating this month." This also helps people that brew less frequently or, god forbid, run out of beer to ship. It gives them the ability to opt out and an "if you don't ship you don't get policy."

It would almost have to have its own sub category on the forums page, if a moderator would allow and create it, with a main rules thread and a new "sign up" thread for each swap. I just think a separate thread would make it easiest to issue numbers each rotation and give the ability to easily delete rotations that have already occurred, keeping the site a bit tidy.

Just my two cents.

Great ideas in my opinion. I like the number system as well as the ability to opt in and out. Hopefully peoples different tastes aren't a problem as far as getting beers they don't like or aren't experienced with.

I also like the idea of recipe swapping AgentHubcap.

I would love to do that. I have been keeping 3 six packs of each brew. My goal is to have 6 brews so I can have 18 six packs with 1 bottle of each brew. Right now I have a amber, Oktoberfest, 2 brown ales. I have a saison fermenting and I am planning on doing a lemon shandy or raspberry lambic type brew.

I saw something like this on a fly tying forum which might be an idea for this. They had a little "wooly bugger" trade.

There were 12 guys participating, each guy made 12 identical flies, there own version of a wooly bugger fly. They tagged each fly with their username and mailed them to the guy organizing the trade. He then took everyone's flies, repackaged them, kept one of each for himself and sent them off again. So basically each guy sent off 12 flies, and later received 12 flies, one fly made from each participant.

Would be an awesome idea for homebrew, if it's legal!

Antler said:
I saw something like this on a fly tying forum which might be an idea for this. They had a little "wooly bugger" trade.

There were 12 guys participating, each guy made 12 identical flies, there own version of a wooly bugger fly. They tagged each fly with their username and mailed them to the guy organizing the trade. He then took everyone's flies, repackaged them, kept one of each for himself and sent them off again. So basically each guy sent off 12 flies, and later received 12 flies, one fly made from each participant.

Would be an awesome idea for homebrew, if it's legal!

Another good idea if shipping costs permit.

I just checked on UPS website and for me to ship from Louisiana to New York it would cost 15 dollars assuming a normal box with 10 pounds of weight. That is not that cost prohibitive for me and my local scene is lacking right now.

thood, I know the feeling. I know there's a Homebrew scene here in H'burg but have yet to break into it. I have a few guys here at the hospital that I work at that all homebrew, so we all trade out beers when a batch is done. We like to call it the bottle swap ;)

AgentHubcap said:
I'd rather send to one or two people in a monthly rotation than send to a dozen.

Even with a central guy so you'd only have to pay twice for shipping?

I was thinking if we got groups of 4-6 together who like/brew the same styles and everybody in that group sends a twelve pack every couple of months(preferably multiple different beers). They would send them to a member of the group who would rearrange them and ship them so each person got 2-3 beers from each person.

Again I'm open to anything I just want to get some feedback. Let's get the format nailed down and get this puppy going.

AgentHubcap said:
I'd rather send to one or two people in a monthly rotation than send to a dozen.

You don't send to a dozen. You send a 12 pack (with return postage) to the guy organizing the trade off. He sends you a 12 pack, 1 beer for every participant.

I'm in. I've done something similar to this, but it was an one-on-one trade and the beer we traded was in 1 liter plastic bottles. I used UPS and think I paid around $11 for shipping. I paid online and printed my own shipping labels. That way I could just drop it off with minimal interation at the UPS store. It's not illegal to ship with UPS/FEDEX, just against their policies. Sending 'Yeast Samples' on the other hand, is not against their policies. I do reccomned individual ziplock baggies for the beers and of course lots of padding.

I could send to one or two people but not a dozen, that would be too expensive. Someone (OP?) should setup a spreadsheet or something. Maybe host it on google docs or something and everyone signs up in pairs. For example colume 1 lists the persons name and beer(s) they are sharing. In column two whoever wants to recieve that beer puts their name in, but only if they are also in column 1 sharing. That way it stays even. Just an idea. One thing for certain is we need to decide on a standard amount, wether it's a sixer or a 12-pack. I'm leaning towards a six pack just because it's easier to ship and isn't 25% of my batch.

I'm in. I've done something similar to this, but it was an one-on-one trade and the beer we traded was in 1 liter plastic bottles. I used UPS and think I paid around $11 for shipping. I paid online and printed my own shipping labels. That way I could just drop it off with minimal interation at the UPS store. It's not illegal to ship with UPS/FEDEX, just against their policies. Sending 'Yeast Samples' on the other hand, is not against their policies. I do reccomned individual ziplock baggies for the beers and of course lots of padding.

I could send to one or two people but not a dozen, that would be too expensive. Someone (OP?) should setup a spreadsheet or something. Maybe host it on google docs or something and everyone signs up in pairs. For example colume 1 lists the persons name and beer(s) they are sharing. In column two whoever wants to recieve that beer puts their name in, but only if they are also in column 1 sharing. That way it stays even. Just an idea. One thing for certain is we need to decide on a standard amount, wether it's a sixer or a 12-pack. I'm leaning towards a six pack just because it's easier to ship and isn't 25% of my batch.

What we are proposing allows us to sample a variety of beers but only pay for 2 shipping labels. There would be one shipping location that everyone would ship to where an organizer would rearrange the beers and ship it back to each member. You see what I mean?

I'm going to make a list of people we have now and if anyone wants to be taken off just let me know.

I am pumped.:ban:

Edit:

This is who I have so far:
Tyzippers
Atonk
skipfab74
watersr
AgentHubcap
nghtmrefu
Arg1129
upNYbrew
jackmack1
reinstone
brewcephus
PeterPan
humpadilo
Bazaar
JayDubWill

That is 16 tentative people who have shown interest

Antler said:
You don't send to a dozen. You send a 12 pack (with return postage) to the guy organizing the trade off. He sends you a 12 pack, 1 beer for every participant.

This also sounds very cool. I have a saison a porter a apa a light lager and a blonde ale and a caribou slobber all ready

I can't be included in this round. Due to working 80+hrs/week all winter, a new baby a month ago, and ****ty town water I haven't brewed since Halloween. I need to find some charcoal or carbon block filters for the filter setup I bought from brewmasters warehouse to filter my brewing water.

I'm down with a future swap though!!!

Antler said:
I can't be included in this round. Due to working 80+hrs/week all winter, a new baby a month ago, and ****ty town water I haven't brewed since Halloween. I need to find some charcoal or carbon block filters for the filter setup I bought from brewmasters warehouse to filter my brewing water.

I'm down with a future swap though!!!

Sorry to hear man. Good luck getting going though!

Now we are really down to 16 including me.

Back