Did not top off fermenter, now what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MisterZ

Reaction score
OK, so I thought I'd try this White House Honey Ale, bought a one gallon kit. I'm due to bottle it tomorrow, and I'm realizing that I came up well short of the one gallon mark after brewing. I am over 15% short I'm figuring. (by weight) What effect will this have on the finished product?

Checking the OG would have clued me in, but fermenting vessel was not deep enough to float the hydrometer, and I said the heck with it. Oops.

You still made beer so don't beat yourself up too bad. I wouldn't do anything to try to fix it at this point. Get another one started and enjoy your "mistake" in the mean time.

OK, so I thought I'd try this White House Honey Ale, bought a one gallon kit. I'm due to bottle it tomorrow, and I'm realizing that I came up well short of the one gallon mark after brewing. I am over 15% short I'm figuring. (by weight) What effect will this have on the finished product?

Checking the OG would have clued me in, but fermenting vessel was not deep enough to float the hydrometer, and I said the heck with it. Oops.

You will probably have a beer much higher in alcohol than you planned. I don't see that as a problem!

DerekJ said:
You still made beer so don't beat yourself up too bad. I wouldn't do anything to try to fix it at this point. Get another one started and enjoy your "mistake" in the mean time.

Luckily, I'll also be bottling 5 gallons of English Brown Ale tomorrow, my very first brew. Hopefully they'll both be drinkable. Can't wait!!

Back