Adding Strawberries to beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cajun_Tiger33

Reaction score
i am making a strawberry beer and i want it to have more of a sweet flavor than the tartness that fresh strawberries gives. i was wondering what i could do to get more of a sweet strawberry flavor?

Do you keg or bottle? If you bottle its harder to achieve what you want without using extract.
Last summer I made SWMBO Slayer (Belgian Blonde) and then once beer cleared I transfered to keg, chilled and sort of "dryhopped" the keg with 3 lbs of frozen strawberries in bag and kept it cool. This way strawberries do not re-ferment, they just release sweet juices to beer and it comes out of tap exactly what you looking for. Very aromatic, sweet strawberry taste and zero tartness. It was incredible.
I don't think you can do it with bottles, unless you pasteurize or filter 100% of yeast prior to adding strawberries.

In my experience, unless you want to spend a ton of money on strawberries, go extract. Strawberries are notoriously had to extract their flavor out of, especially when using in a darker, more malt flavored beer.

Belma hops are said to have a strawberry flavor when used for aroma & dry hopping. I get berry/fruity but other claim strawberry. Try it they're cheap @$5/ lb

Back