American Pale Wheat hops question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meehan20

Reaction score
Today I went to my Home Brew Store and purchased a Brewers Best American Pale Wheat kit, am hoping to get a good wheat beer out of it. Upon reading reviews on it people have remarked on how hopy the brew is.

My problem is now I am not a big hopy kind of guy. I am not a fan of that bitterness. The wheat beers I enjoy are your basic Shock Tops, Blue Moon, Boulevards. I am afraid this will be a little over the top. Deathly afraid this will come out like an IPA which is something my taste buds are not a fan of.

Can anyone tell me what this beer closely resembles when brewed?
Would it hurt to cut out some of the amount of hops when brewing?

FYI the hops that are included with the kit are Liberty and Cluster. Both one ounce.

Thank you for the help!

:mug:

Straight from Brewer's Best:
This is an easy drinking ale blending the styles of pale ale and
wheat beer. The malt bill is based on wheat extract and flaked
red wheat and will provide a light copper color and ample head
retention. American Pale Wheats are hoppier than traditional
wheat beers and American Cluster and Liberty hops lend a mod-
erate hoppiness. BRY-97 yeast ferments a clean, ale flavor profile
without the banana and clove phenols that its German counter-
part has. This beer is very drinkable and is most enjoyable fresh,
just after bottle conditioning.

Looks like the Cluster are at 60 min, the Liberty are at 5 min. Should be moderately bitter (slightly less than a SNPA), with a bit of flavor and aroma from the Liberty. If the description can be believed it sounds like a fairly enjoyable, sessionable beer.

I decided to chance it and did it the way the kit called. If its a little to bitter maybe ill do some orange on the secondary.

Back