Using canned wort...right away?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thatjonguy

Now with 57.93% more awesome!
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been covered, but does anyone see an issue with canning a jar of starter wort just to sterilize it? I finally got some Heady in NORTH DAKOTA (yay for awesome HBT members!) and I would like no to screw up the culturing.

I have never thought about canning wort until now, so I only have a wee-little pressure cooker.

If I can one pint of wort just to make it sterile then use it right away (after it cools of course), I should be fine?

(I know it is a silly question but I really want the Conan Strain...)

One of the primary benefits of canning wort is to make up a bunch ahead of time so that it's ready to go when you are. Boiling and cooling should work just fine, but if you want sterile wort, then yes, you can do small batches as needed with your small cooker. Keep in mind though, sterile wort will not prevent any contamination that may already be present in your culture. If you obtained the yeast from another home brewer, you risk the chance of already having background contamination present. If you truly want to make sure that the culture is clean and pure, you need to get some agar plates and do a streak. This way you can start from a pure colony (or multiple colonies) of yeast and leave any contamination behind.

Thanks guys, I am going to decant about 80% out of the can and culture from that. Then to a starter for a batch. From the starter I am will be streaking a plate.

Or should I be streaking from the can?

Thanks guys, I am going to decant about 80% out of the can and culture from that. Then to a starter for a batch. From the starter I am will be streaking a plate.

Or should I be streaking from the can?

It's totally up to you, doesn't matter what you streak from. Chances are you can crank out a couple batches before contamination has a chance to take hold. The main thing is, if you want to maintain the strain indefinitely, you'll need to streak it sooner or later.

Ok thanks! (Now I will have to wait until the Amazon order shows up...yay for Prime!)

Back