Got some water in my brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shedbrewery

Reaction score
I had some wine fermenting for about 9 days, and tonight I ckecked the airlock to see if it worked and bubbled right. So I kinda sqeezed the bottle I am fermenting in and some of the water went through part of the airlock and dripped into the juice...

Will my brew be fine? Will anything be wrong with it cause' I got some water in it?
It wasn't much water..

Most people refer to that as suckback. You should be fine seeing as even if it was water with sanitizer you probably added a couple ml into a few gallons. Some people use cheap vodka for their airlock just so in case this happens they know there is no risk of infection.

Most likely you will be fine. For next time I would put either a sanitized solution like Star San or cheap vodka in my airlock.

I've had suckback with water before I used Starsan and the beer turned out great. I doubt you have anything to worry about.

You should be fine. I brewed today and it was hailing. As I chilled the wart to pitching temps and there were ice pellets raining from the sky into my beer. I'm not worried. I may call it Hail-Pail Ale if it wern't such a tongue twister.

Back