sorta new

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schadduck

Reaction score
ok so i've made a couple batches (i also dabled with some rum that came out pretty good). but i have a question; i have a pale ale and an irish stout that just finished both came out close to the same ABV. can't remember the pale ale's readings but the stout came out with a sp gr of 22 a brix of about 6 and an ABV of about 3.5-3.8 or somewhere there abouts, this is according to my hydrometer. but other places i've seen readings posted the readings were way different, wondering if mine sound about right or if maybe my hydrometer is marked different. i will say that my brew did finish right in the correct range marked for finished beer on the hydrometer, taste is good (slightly dry/sweet, chocolate notes, touch of coffee, little nutty pleasant after taste...not quite a Guinness but not far off), really nice head, color was so dark it blocked light completely (like my soul..lol) and a wonderful thickness that clings to the glass.

pale ale was sweet, crisp like wine, no dry mouth and very bright.

so, any thoughts from anyone?

ok so i've made a couple batches (i also dabled with some rum that came out pretty good). but i have a question; i have a pale ale and an irish stout that just finished both came out close to the same ABV. can't remember the pale ale's readings but the stout came out with a sp gr of 22 a brix of about 6 and an ABV of about 3.5-3.8 or somewhere there abouts, this is according to my hydrometer. but other places i've seen readings posted the readings were way different, wondering if mine sound about right or if maybe my hydrometer is marked different. i will say that my brew did finish right in the correct range marked for finished beer on the hydrometer, taste is good (slightly dry/sweet, chocolate notes, touch of coffee, little nutty pleasant after taste...not quite a Guinness but not far off), really nice head, color was so dark it blocked light completely (like my soul..lol) and a wonderful thickness that clings to the glass.

pale ale was sweet, crisp like wine, no dry mouth and very bright.

so, any thoughts from anyone?

You should calibrate your hydrometer in 60 degree water to see if you need to be making any manual adjustments to get accurate readings. You can use tap water just fine, mineral content doesn't affect it enough to need distilled water. A perfect hydrometer will read water at 60 degrees as 1.000

Welcome to the community. My only advice is to take meticulous notes from now on so you can maximize your potential for improvement

You also have to remember that at this point,you're tasting green beer. But an IPA should be very sweet at all. Just some maltiness to contrast the hops.
What was OG/FG on them?

Back