just kegged 1swt batch will it carb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve50

Reaction score
filled the keg attached the gas line set at 9 psi fridge at 34degrees farh.
bled the tank 2 times to release o2 gauge at 9psi shut down tank and placed in kegerator. will check gage in 2 hrs to see if i need to turn tank on again did not hook up the out flow to the keg , no need to yet right
all comments welcome
steve

Takes longer than 3 days. More like 1-2 weeks doing the set and forget method, which I would recommend.

Ok. But turn on the tank and leave it. That is safe right? Just new to it and want to check out everything. I check it next Sat. Pour at 3-5psi?

Leaving it on is the normal...it should be ready to roll by next weekend after you finish mowing your lawn:)

10-12 psi for 1-2 weeks and it's ready to drink. The longer it sits after that the better (and clearer) it will get.

No need to decrease pressure after 1-2 weeks. 10-12 psi should be a reasonable serving pressure assuming line length of 10-12 feet.

I forced a hefeweizen last weekend. Turned the pressure up to 27psi rolled the keg a little and you could feel more gas going in when i was doing it. Let it sit overnight in the kegerator. Temp dropped to about 38F i dropped the pressure to 15psi. DELICIOUS and it only took around 24hrs (I couldnt wait) ;)

Set it at dispensing pressure and be patient (10-12 psi). It will be drinkable in maybe 4 days-it will be better in about 7-and after 2 weeks it will be in kick-ass-and-writing-down-names shape.

I currently have 4 Cornys under gas in my kegerator and I consistently learn-longer time in secondary-longer time in keg-longer time under gas-better product. Trust me I'm still learning but this is a game where patience is a huge virtue.

Avocet said:
Set it at dispensing pressure and be patient (10-12 psi). It will be drinkable in maybe 4 days-it will be better in about 7-and after 2 weeks it will be in kick-ass-and-writing-down-names shape.

I currently have 4 Cornys under gas in my kegerator and I consistently learn-longer time in secondary-longer time in keg-longer time under gas-better product. Trust me I'm still learning but this is a game where patience is a huge virtue.

Amen brotha! Too bad all of us home brewers are impatient!! Ha!

I am trying to understand this whole process. Does the gas shut down once pressure in the keg reaches desired level? Then as the beer absorbs the co2 and pressure decreases the gas is dispensed again? My concern is with the tank always on how can it last ? Just ordered the BYO mag on kegging.
Thanks Steve

It's not really an on/off but once the desired pressure is reached, everything (pressure inside the keg vs the CO2 line in) equalizes therefore none goes in and none goes out. I have a 3 keg setup and leave everything hooked up and on when the keg(s) have beer in them, I use a 5 lb tank and it lasts me about 9-12 kegs then I have to refill. Set it and forget it. Now if you have a leak in the system it will last about 24 hours! Been there, experienced that!

Also, you might lean toward the lower end of the mentioned psi (10-12) or raise your keggerator temp a little. That's a little cool for my tastes anyway but if I was going to run 34, I'd go with 9-10 psi. Not withstanding major line length discrepancies.

Back