Thermistor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stocktonbrew

Reaction score
hello all, i am building the 38DD fermentor cooler. I bought a Honeywell RTH111B thermostat. Does anyone know were the thermistor is? If not do you know of a thermostat that is easily modified and available?

Hi stocktonbrew, the RTH111b is not an easy thermostat for the 38DD application. The CT31A by honeywell is a better choice. You can mount the RTH111b inside the cooler, or you can easily solder the thermistor on the CT31A and tape to your carboys, then mount the controller on the outside of the 38DD. Obviously I figured it out, but if you have questions on how I did this let me know.

I hate to sound cheap, but I absolutely love my el-cheapo STC-1000. As far as PID's go it is cheap,efficient, and easy to set up. Even with the Chinese instructions. What does the 38DD do differently that would require a higher priced thermostat? Not being rude, just am not familiar with that design and was interested in what the difference might be. TIA

Wheelchair Bob

No difference really. I was just looking for something I could pick up from home depot that would work. The CT31A had a thermistor that was easy to solder and only cost 20 bucks. How has the cooler worked for you?

Wheelchair Bob,
It appears you may have interjected yourself into a soliloquy.

MrNatural said:
Wheelchair Bob,
It appears you may have interjected yourself into a soliloquy.

That is freaking hilarious! I've haven't laughed that hard since wisenbacherwerkx gesput or whoever that was.

It was a soliloquy(strangly appropriate use of the word), but really I was just making a joke because I had no takers on my thermistor question.

We know, thought it was crafty. We had a forum post for our department once so I posted up a question. I answered it once a quarter after our dept quarterly meetings that centered around communication. Went on for two years before I finally got fired, they too did not get the humor. Oh well, now onto Monty python. good luck, though, other than that I have no idea what you're trying to do but it sounds interesting.

Back