Does this sounds right?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

njs170

Reaction score
I am worried that this is too much water. 5.99 gallons for the mash seems high.

Variables
Batch Size (gal) 5
Grain Bill (lbs.) 18
Boil Time (hrs.) 1
Trub Loss (gal.) .5
Equipment Loss (gal.) 1
Mash Thickness (qts/lb.) 1.33
Grain Temperature (deg.) 70
Target Mash Temperature (deg.) 155

Constants
Wort Shrinkage (pct) 4.
Grain Absorption Constant (gal/lb) .13
Percent Boiloff per Hour (pct/hr) 10

Results
Total Water Needed (gal.) 9.71
Mash Water Needed (gal.) 5.99
Sparge Water Needed (gal.) 3.72
Strike Temperature (deg.) 164.33
Pre-Boil Wort Produced (gal.) 6.37

Thanks!

18# for 5 gallons is a pretty big brew. When I enter a starting volume of 6.5 gallons (1 gallon equipment loss and .5 for trub) into an online calculator....it comes up 5.99 too. You might want to go with a 90+ minute boil. You will then need more sparge water to make 7+ gallons pre-boil. This should help your efficiency.

Thank you for your help! It just seems like a lot of water! I guess the grain will suck up a good bit of it.

I used two gallons to make one gallon. My mash soaked up about a gallon, plus the evaperation as well. I was amazed that I had just over a gallon left to pour into me cider jug. If that helps with a ratio at all.

Go to thread: batch sparge calculator.

6 gallons is correct... an easy way to calculate is 1 gallon per 3 lbs of grain.
Mash and lauter is easy when you get the hang of it.
Mash as above, drain and measure.
Sparge with whatever makeup water is needed for the pre-boil volume.

I brewed this beer yesterday and the starting with 6 gallons and sparge with 3.5 gallons worked out great! I finished with a little more then 5 gallons going in the fermentor. Thank you for all your help!

Latest posts

Back