Oh Boy, Blowoff Contamination?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brauman

Reaction score
Dear HBT Forum Members,

yesterday I was racking my beer and due to rookie idiocy I managed to suck a good gulp of water from my blowoff tube / water bucket into the primary. Luckily I caught it, but some yeast/iodine scum water still managed to get into the primary. I racked the beer nonetheless. The lady suggested I just toss the beer, it hurts my heart. What do think. Has anyone ever had the same problem, is my beer hopelessly contaminated?

:mug:

Never dump.

Seriously just see what happens. Great things can come from mistakes.

You will know if it is ruined after you carb and taste it.

Once again this happened to me. Yesterday while racking into my secondary I managed to suck in all of 1/2 gallon of star san/yeast scum-blow off water into my fermenter. It just shows that I shouldn't be indulging on homebrew while I'm home brewing. I will see what happens, but am still curious if other people have had similar experience and if any of those situations turned sour.

I wouldnt worry about it, your airlock was sanitized when you put it on your fermenter, the yeast that went up into is from your sanitized wort / fermenter. Everything should be fine.

Once again this happened to me. Yesterday while racking into my secondary I managed to suck in all of 1/2 gallon of star san/yeast scum-blow off water into my fermenter. It just shows that I shouldn't be indulging on homebrew while I'm home brewing. I will see what happens, but am still curious if other people have had similar experience and if any of those situations turned sour.
I'm looking at a batch right now that had that same experience. I was distracted when transferring to my secondary and, "gulp!" I had fogotton to take out the blow off tube. It sucked a good three cups of diluted iodine sanitizer, which at the time was about 10 days old and had this film on it. I've let the beer set in the secondary for several weeks, as it is a beer that needs to age, and have watched a light film build on the top of my beer. I'm not sure what this film is, or the effect it will have on the beer. I'm planning on racking the beer into another carboy and I'm going to try and keep the film out.
We'll see how it turns out, but it made me smile to read that other people have had this same experience.
So how did your beer turn out?

Don't rack to secondary? ;)

This is the easiest way to keep from sucking up the blowoff. Very few beers really need to be secondairied so just leave them alone until bottling time. Take the lid off to get your gravity sample and your blowoff tube is automatically removed. :ban:

Back