Getting my lager lighter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soulshine

Reaction score
So I brewed another batch of lager this winter. I was trying to get something similar to Bitburger but again this year, while it taste very good, the brew came out more like an american saranac lager. What can I do to get a very light golden color and light body to the lager as oppossed to the dark gold almost amber color I am getting. Here was the recipe I did for 15 gallons.
Do I cut back on the mash time? Do I cut back on the boil time?

15 gallon
Malts:
13 lbs Extra Lt DME
6 pounds Pilsner Malt
3 pounds Carapils 10L
3 lbs flaked rice

Mash 147 degrees 75 minutes

Hops:
Bittering Hop @ 60 Minutes
1.5 oz Warrior

Flavor Hops @ 10 Minutes
3 oz Saaz

Aroma Hops @ 5 Minutes
3 oz Saaz

Yeast:
White Labs WLP830 (3 vials with a starter)

Thanks for any help! Hoping next year to get this right!

that is a lot of carapils.

late addition on the DME will help a lot. Note that DME includes Carapils. i'd consider dropping it or taking it down by half or more.

I'll second doing a late addition of the DME. Gives less chance for caramelization in the kettle which can darken the wort. Other than that I don't think you could find ingredients that would yield a lighter colored product.

inhousebrew said:
I'll second doing a late addition of the DME. Gives less chance for caramelization in the kettle which can darken the wort. Other than that I don't think you could find ingredients that would yield a lighter colored product.

So basically 60 min mash and 60 min boil but dont add dme until 30 min into boil of so?
And reduce the carapils.

Exactly. You will get more hop utilization this way, so maybe lower your hop amounts (something that must be calculated).

Back