Is early tasting indicate a good indicator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyno

Reaction score
I'm cross-posting this post in this area b/c I was going back and forth where it fits:

I have brewed maybe 20 batches of beer over the past 14 years and for most of those have done primary and secondary fermentation. I'm sure everybody does this, but I always taste it at every stage along the way just to get an idea of how the flavor is developing.

After doing this a bunch of times, I do question whether or not I can actually predict how it's going to turn out based on these preliminary tastings. Maybe it's because I don't brew enough, but it seems all over the map. There have been a couple batches where I remember thinking I may have screwed this one up but it turns out phenomenally and others that I think they are heading for greatness and they are just ok.

I am asking b/c I just bottled a Double IPA yesterday (partial mash) - after 8 days in the primary it was tasting very promising with lots of good hoppy flavor coming through and strong but balanced sweet flavor, then out of the secondary it tastes extremely sweet and caramel, chocolate flavor and I am barely getting any hops anymore - so now I am concerned. I do not remember this happening with my other beers, but this is my 1st attempt at a Double IPA.

What do you think? Do you pros think early tasting is a good indicator? Do you just have to have a lot of experience to know what you are looking for?

I'm kind of in the same boat. I'm often surprised by the final product after tasting somewhat bland hydrometer samples. For me, the early samples are better for picking out off-flavors or other flaws than they are at predicting how good a beer is going to be.

I find that the yeast choice really impacts the flavor profiles along the way. For example, BRY97 really hammers hop flavors as it finishes. I might taste a beer from a hydro sample at a week and think it's going to be pretty hoppy - but 4 weeks down the road when I'm drinking it it's mellowed a lot.

Some yeasts smell really bread-y and some smell awful while they're working - some smell great. The final products from all of those can end up really clear and clean.

But, I'm with you on the tasting plan. I love to follow the process and get a feel for it all along. It also helps me identify the other end of the spectrum - realizing when bottles have gone beyond their best flavors and are breaking down - it's all part of a nice curve.

After doing this a bunch of times, I do question whether or not I can actually predict how it's going to turn out based on these preliminary tastings. Maybe it's because I don't brew enough, but it seems all over the map. There have been a couple batches where I remember thinking I may have screwed this one up but it turns out phenomenally and others that I think they are heading for greatness and they are just ok.

I am asking b/c I just bottled a Double IPA yesterday (partial mash) - after 8 days in the primary it was tasting very promising with lots of good hoppy flavor coming through and strong but balanced sweet flavor, then out of the secondary it tastes extremely sweet and caramel, chocolate flavor and I am barely getting any hops anymore - so now I am concerned. I do not remember this happening with my other beers, but this is my 1st attempt at a Double IPA.

What do you think? Do you pros think early tasting is a good indicator? Do you just have to have a lot of experience to know what you are looking for?

I can usually get a good idea from initial tasting. . . . . especially if the beer is very good. It is rare that a beer tastes really good, and goes backwards. But, it is fairly common for beers to taste bad-so/so and improve with time - in my experience.

One thing that struck me about the example you gave is you said you had 8 day primary on IIPA, and now it is too "sweet" in secondary. In my opinion, 8 days seems like a very short primary for a big beer, and could have possibly shut down your yeast somewhat at transfer.... leaving you with a high finishing gravity and that "sweet" "unfinished" flavor... Not sure, and that does not necessarily apply to every situation you might be thinking of, but could be a possibility with that particular beer.

I prefer to leave a beer for about 3 weeks on primary and really let the yeast do their job, and clean up flavors before moving the beer.

Back