"Dilemma"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drumnart

Reaction score
So, I am in need of some direction. I have a 25 cu ft freezer that I have been using for my keg system (overkill I know, but it was only 60 bucks). I have now also acquired a refrigerator that I was thinking about using for a fermentation chamber. After measuring the fridge I found that I can put 6 cornies in it. Since I don't think I will ever be using more than 6 kegs should I just use that as the kegerator and use the freezer as a fermentation chamber? Trust me I know it's not much of a dilemma, just trying to see what would work best and see what you all think. Thanks in advance.

Yes. I would do that. The using that large of a chest freezer for your fermentation chamber will allow you to develop a nice pipeline. That is what I would do.

Cbaddad is right that you could get a great pipeline going, but the chest freezer might save you some cash on your electric bill.

If you think about it the kegerator will be high 30s to low 40s 24/7/365, compared to your fermentation chamber only needing to be 65 whenever you have a batch going. As long as the chest freezer isn't way bigger than the fridge, I would bet the better insulation in the chest freezer will be better.

That and it is significantly easier to move a carboy out of a fridge than a chest freezer.

Just my 2 cents from a fellow Floridian. Either way you'll be a happy man!

I think I may just use the fridge as the kegerator. The chest freezer is huge. I guess there really is no wrong answer, thanks for the replies.

Back