Fermentation temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oakdale_Ales

Reaction score
I just assembled my fermentation chamber, fridge with stc1000 and paint can heater. So now that I can control the exact temperature, how do I choose a temp (within the yeast guidelines). I currently have a saison with wyeast 3724 (70-85f) it's set at 71f/21.7c.
Does choosing a temp at the high or low end of the range effect the beer and how.

Warm that saison up! Go up 2 to 3 degrees every day tell you hit 80. Just listened to the jamal show on saisons and am doing one my self. If you ferment that low it won't turn out much like a saison. You won't get as much phenols or esters that you want

With normal yeast I would start lower than the range tell fermentation starts and slowly let it rise over the course of fermentation bringing it to highest point in the range around the end. There's a good book called yeast if you like to read that ex plans a lot more and I found very interesting .

Thanks for the help. I just started my saison and already bumped the temp up today. Is starting low and working up to the high end, a good rule of thumb to stick with for now? What is "normal yeast," I usually brew brown and pale ales, I haven't tried a lager yet but might, now that I can.
Also is there any difference in fermentation or ferm temp with dry vs liquid.

Each yeast will have a temp its fermented best at most ale yeasts seem to be around 62-68F. But dry to liquid should be the same depending on the strain. Starting low and raising it is a good idea. If you start high you'll have hot alcohol flavors and then if you lower it you'll have tons of dyacital. Jamil said to start a saison low 68-70 then bump it up slowly and get it to 80

First, congrats on getting set up to control your ferment temps. You will find it to be a wise investment of time and resources.

+1 about starting at the low side of optimal for that yeast, holding it there 5-7 days, and then stepping it up to finish the last couple days about 4-6*F warmer than where you began. You'll like the result you get from doing that.

No difference between liquid vs. dry. There are variations for each strain of yeast. Some ale yeasts (like Nottingham dry) do great down into the 55*F range while others will fall out and go dormant below 60*. Some are not bad if allowed to go a bit over 70*F. Others (Nottingham again) need to be kept below 68*F.

Normally, I like to start ales around 62-63*F, keep them there a week, raise them slowly to 65-66* and then the last 2-3 days at 67-68*. There are exceptions. I'm fermenting an ESB right now with Wyeast 1968 ESB (pitched at 62*F almost 48hrs ago). It focculates a bit prematurely at the lower end of its temp range, so I let it slowly come up to 66*F in the first 24 hours. When the krausen falls, I'll bump it to 68* and give it a gentle swirl to help make sure it fully attenuates and finishes correctly.

Also, since you have an STC-1000 controller, you might as well start cold crashing. After ferment is done, set that controller to 2*C and give it 3-5 days there. The benefit = clearer beer and a more compact yeast cake.

+1 about starting at the low side of optimal for that yeast, holding it there 5-7 days, and then stepping it up to finish the last couple days about 4-6*F warmer than where you began. You'll like the result you get from doing that.

+2 on this. As fermentation slows, raising the temp helps achieve full attenuation.

Also, now that you've got temp control, try a lager- simple at first, them move to a bock or doppelbock. Lagers take way more time, but are fantastic when well made and worth the extra effort. :tank:

Back