To pitch or not to pitch Wine Yeast??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eluterio

Reaction score
Delema what to do with 1.5 gal of left over Blonde for the weekend of brewing.

Long story short you can read this to catch up.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/bi...0-gallon-batch-401574/index2.html#post5085090

To much water not enough evaporation = 6.5 gallons of wort. Fermentor has only enough room with 5 gal so stuck with 1.5 and no yeast. A buddy of mine let me borrow yeast turns out it wine yeast not soo sure im going to use it.

What to with 1.5 gal. Let it sit until im able to get yeast from LHS (its in a sanitized carboy with cap on not air lock) could be up to 7 days with no yeast? OR ... dump it?

if you need to wait 7 days, keep it in the fridge.

what wine yeast do you have on hand? problem with wine yeast is that is can't ferment maltose so the resulting brew will be quite sweet. i'd hold out for beer yeast. this is precisely the reason why i try to have a pack or two of dry yeast in the fridge... you never know.

idea: when your 5 gallon batch is actively fermenting, pour the 1.5 gallons into your main fermenter, and then use a auto-siphon to pull back out 1.5. this mixing will allow you to pick up active yeast.

another option is to put the 1.5 gallons into plastic containers (tupperware, yogurt, etc) and freeze it. later, thaw out and use as starter wort (boil it first). if the OG is high, dilute down to 1.035-1.040, either before freezing or after.

Yes I usually pack around extra packets of yeast but this go around I gave mine away. I like the idea of pooring it into the 5 gal then auto siphon however, freaks me out a bit. Dont want to introduce anything and contaminate it. I think I like the of freezing it.

Thanks

Back