My apricot blonde smelled bad bottling day??!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newbrew129

Reaction score
I bottled my apricot blonde after 2 weeks primary and 1.5 weeks secondary, this is my first fruit beer, so maybe I just don't know, but it smelled bad! Like soured or rotten fruit? it tastes ok, but definitely not great. Is that normal?!? I used 2 lbs apricot purée in the primary after a couple days of active fermentation, then just racked to secondary.

Did you have any white bubbly slimy webby lookin stuff on tp of the liquid in the secondary? Sounds infected.

What yeast & malts did you use? Does it smell like cooked cabbage or rotten eggs? If it's sulfur or DMS, then it should fade with time. If it smells like asphalt or rubber bands, there ain't much hope.

Does it taste sour? What's your final gravity?

No slimy stuff or white stringy stuff. I used 6 lbs wheat malt syrup and wyeast1010 American wheat. It smells more like soured fruit. Tastes kind of like mild hops with a twang.... Maybe I just need to wait this one out but it's pretty strange!

Or maybe it got to warm during fermentation, it has a strong alcohol smell kind of?

The strong alcohol smell will die off with aging. Depending on the method you used to rack the fruit into your primary, there might have been some nasties living on/in the apricots which may be giving off the sour smell. Decomposing fruit will also give off a foul sort of odor (a failed experiment with a plum-infused stout taught me that...), but as long as there aren't any visible streaks/colonies growing on the surface, you should be good to go.

Thanks! I'll report back in a couple weeks how this has turned out! I'm hoping you're right scramblegg81!!!

I helped a buddy bottle his apricot wheat and thought it smelled/tasted horrible. He said its finished to be a delicious beer. Haven't tried it yet.

zx2tuner said:
I helped a buddy bottle his apricot wheat and thought it smelled/tasted horrible. He said its finished to be a delicious beer. Haven't tried it yet.

That's encouraging!! Ii hope this turns out, it was a pricey recipe as far as kits go!

Sorry, the title almost made me spit my tea.

Hmmmm.....apricot tea?;)

Experimental brewing aside, I have had plenty of brews smell gross at bottling that turned out fantastic. I sincerely hope that will be the case for you.

cheezydemon3 said:
Sorry, the title almost made me spit my tea.

Hmmmm.....apricot tea?;)

Experimental brewing aside, I have had plenty of brews smell gross at bottling that turned out fantastic. I sincerely hope that will be the case for you.

I had to re-read the title to figure out why that was funny;) hopefully it turns out!

Back