Zythos :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy_Bugger

Reaction score
I made the mistake of brewing a mostly Zythos beer before checking with HBT for some reviews. If you go by Hopunion's description, it sounds like it could make a good hoppy beer.

MoreBeer said:
Will Harrison of Hopunion who led the team that developed the Zythos hop blend has this to say "I get lots of citrus and tropical fruit notes. The hop was blended to get a little of everything in one pellet. We went for citrus, tropical, pine, and spicy as the main flavors in that order. It also has some experimental varieties to make it more complex".

I brewed a 55ibu beer with 4oz. of Zythos in the boil. Additions at 60/15/5/0. 0.5oz was used for bittering. WY1318 was the yeast.

It was supposed to be a semi-hoppy amber ale. The post fermentation sample was pretty weak in flavor and aroma. The aroma was mild and fruity. It smelled like cherry esters. No citrus, tropical, pine or spice as advertised. The cherry could have been from the yeast. It was my first time using 1318 and Zythos and wasn't really sure what to expect.

I'm dry hopping it with Centennial and Cascade and hopefully that will help. So far, I'm really unimpressed with Zythos.

Has anyone brewed a mostly Zythos beer that they really liked?

Yes, I made a dry hopped apa once with all zythos hops that turned out pretty good.

You might have gotten more out of it had you gone 60, 0, dryhop. Just a thought for next time.

I did.
An oz each at 15,10&5.
They were the only additions in a 10ltr batch fermented with brett b trois.
I was looking for crazy in your face hoppiness. Didnt get it but i dtill love the beer due the bitterness that seems to whisper to you from the nack of a church, but then jumps you as you turn to leave.

Back