I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I used it once, I think it was v-man who told me what it meant. But I can't remember now. I have owned 2 hydrometers, first one got broken so ordered a new one. Never got to use the first one. I pretty much have no idea where the other one is. I think I recall storing it in a fabric bin, so it would not break. I'll look for it. Most people seems to think gravity readings are important.
Yes and no. They will tell you when fermentation is complete for sure. You can also use the information to determine your ABV.

I just use an online ABV calculator. It's easier then doing the math. :p

I found it, the hydrometer, maybe I should try to read something now. Like the sour apple turned apple pie batch, hold on.

If it won't float, then what? I admit, I do not know how to use hydrometer, there, I confessed.

I must have to have a taller volume of liquid. Okay. Sanitize the dang thing and drop it in the bucket? I don't know where the test tube thing it came with went.

I haven't had a beer since Wednesday. We did 08-12 Stone Vertical Epic Ales at a bottle share. Along with a handful of other high gravity beers. I did not fare so well. I figured it out and I had the equivalent of 8 12pz beers that day. The lowest abv was 8.3. The next day I agreed with y wife that until the baby is born I will only drink as much as she can. She said bottle shares are no fun when youre not allowed. We take the European stance toward drinking while pregnant. 4oz wine and 8oz of beer per day max. Most of the European studies are far more accurate than American studies. Wish you guys lived closer. Gonna give a non-alcohol brew a go soon. Got the grain in, just need the time to finish up the fermentation chamber.

I haven't had a beer since Wednesday. We did 08-12 Stone Vertical Epic Ales at a bottle share. Along with a handful of other high gravity beers. I did not fare so well. I figured it out and I had the equivalent of 8 12pz beers that day. The lowest abv was 8.3. The next day I agreed with y wife that until the baby is born I will only drink as much as she can. She said bottle shares are no fun when youre not allowed. We take the European stance toward drinking while pregnant. 4oz wine and 8oz of beer per day max. Most of the European studies are far more accurate than American studies. Wish you guys lived closer. Gonna give a non-alcohol brew a go soon. Got the grain in, just need the time to finish up the fermentation chamber.

I might have just the thing for you, yes, too bad you aren't closer. According to my calculations and going by what I know about hydrometers, and guessing approximately what the original gravity would have been, then the ABV on the beer I was drinking last night is less than 0%. Since it's less than 0% ABV, then I assume that by drinking it, it will actually remove alcohol from your system. So you could drink 8 ounces of a 6% beer, then drink about 3 of these, and you are back to having not consumed any alcohol. Therefore you could go ahead and have another 8 ounces of something with a higher ABV. :cross:

I might have just the thing for you, yes, too bad you aren't closer. According to my calculations and going by what I know about hydrometers, and guessing approximately what the original gravity would have been, then the ABV on the beer I was drinking last night is less than 0%. Since it's less than 0% ABV, then I assume that by drinking it, it will actually remove alcohol from your system. So you could drink 8 ounces of a 6% beer, then drink about 3 of these, and you are back to having not consumed any alcohol. Therefore you could go ahead and have another 8 ounces of something with a higher ABV. :cross:
I like that logic. :fro:

If you didn't take a pre-fermentation gravity reading though, you won't be able to determine your abv.

I got to the honolulu airport 3 hours early in case the lines were long. They weren't but security screening still took forever. Have some time an brenow before tithe flight departs so stopped by Kona Brewing. Got a pint of their pale Ale. Not bad but I thought to myself. I c

Argh. Posting on an iPhone. At least for me. I'm not good at it. Accidentally send a message before I'm finished and also create new babbling meaningless words

staticmap

So what I was going to say is the Kona pale Ale I'm tasting is good but I thought to myself. My homebrew if not even perfect is better. And I also thought JC Stauffbirr's is even better. Then I said to myself, said to myself. Momma likes a rolling stone. Wait no I didn't think that. I though tt TtTo myself hebrewe
to myself

You were thinking to yourself in Hebrew? That's pretty impressive. Glad you made it safely to Hawaii!!! So now you are catching another flight? Like a little plane to go to one of the smaller islands? Be safe!

So what I was going to say is the Kona pale Ale I'm tasting is good but I thought to myself. My homebrew if not even perfect is better. And I also thought JC Stauffbirr's is even better. Then I said to myself, said to myself. Momma likes a rolling stone. Wait no I didn't think that. I though tt TtTo myself hebrewe
to myself

Thanks Dan!

I've only had Kona's Koko Brown, and Pipeline. The Koko Brown was just ok, but I really liked the Pipeline!

I hope you're enjoying yourself, and I also hope that you've had a good trip!

to myself
That was awesome! Hahahahahaha. Reminds me of this.

best-dad-ever.doing-lauren.jpg

Oh, I need to pay better attention. In that case, glad you are having a good trip and had time for a beer. Cheers! Sorry though you have to come back to the smog and work.

Dan said:
Egads! I thought to myself glad I am a homebrewer and lift this brew to all of you

And a toast back to you Dan. I hope you had a memorable and fantastic time with your wife (and plans for the pending move as well.). Enjoy your Kona and have a good flight home!

Here's the harvest report for the RYR experiment.

I picked up four pad locks to practice lock picking on. I was able to open one of them, but not any of the rest so far. I thought I would be able to sit and watch tv while doing this with my hands.. HA. No. It takes way more concentration then that.

I picked up four pad locks to practice lock picking on. I was able to open one of them, but not any of the rest so far. I thought I would be able to sit and watch tv while doing this with my hands.. HA. No. It takes way more concentration then that.

You could just rent a storage unit, then you can get in the gate and have all those locks to practice with. Strap a light to your forehead and do it late at night. Might even find some cool stuff.

I tried my apple mint, whatever you want to call it, again today and can't believe I was actually drinking this stuff last night. No wonder why I woke up feeling nauseous. Got hubby to try some and he said "Just throw it in the compost pile, you can't win them all." Having my doubts now that the brown sugar addition will help. It's even hard to pinpoint what makes it taste so bad.

BobbiLynn said:
It's even hard to pinpoint what makes it taste so bad.

Likely the 2 lbs of brown sugar. I've only used that stuff once, but it was a nasty tasting batch. I'm not sure what it is about it.

Likely the 2 lbs of brown sugar. I've only used that stuff once, but it was a nasty tasting batch. I'm not sure what it is about it.

Well, tasting it pre- brown sugar. I just don't see how it could get any worse post- brown sugar. But maybe it could. I could save it to give to people that I don't like. Maybe give it to my youngest sister. I never have liked her. She can share it with her friends, I don't like any of them either.

ooh, is it Tarantino sountrack night?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been a bit MIA lately between working too many hours and having too many projects going on at home to the point where I felt I was being spread too thin (even though that is a practical impossibility ;) )

BobbiLynn - I am sending all my positive thoughts you're way for now. You and your hubby are in a bad spot that isn't fair no matter how you look at it. You're not wrong to ask for help - there are too many goodhearted people out there who want to act but wait to be asked. I'd also say that if your hubby hasn't found a passionate hobby (like you have with brewing) then he should. A lift to the soul is also a lift of the body.

Dan - I'm so happy you got to Hawaii to be with your wife. Hopefully you had an awesome time (which is all I can imagine for anyone in Hawaii :) )

Snaps - That is an incredible move of solidarity you're taking with your wife. With all the grief you're going through with work it would be so easy for you to say you need an extra beer here or there, but you are doing what is right, not easy. That deserves a toast :mug: and a little dance! :ban:

So today I finally completed the deck refinishing project (well, not really - I still need to put up the under-deck roof and the joist covers, but from standing on the deck, it's done!)

As I was working this afternoon this song came up in iTunes and it made me think of BobbiLynn - the "I don't care what you're up to, I just need a simple thing and hope you can help me" attitude comes though strong!

[ame="http://youtu.be/ZIFknAdVvNM"]http://youtu.be/ZIFknAdVvNM[/ame]

IMG_2098.jpg

You could just rent a storage unit, then you can get in the gate and have all those locks to practice with. Strap a light to your forehead and do it late at night. Might even find some cool stuff.

I tried my apple mint, whatever you want to call it, again today and can't believe I was actually drinking this stuff last night. No wonder why I woke up feeling nauseous. Got hubby to try some and he said "Just throw it in the compost pile, you can't win them all." Having my doubts now that the brown sugar addition will help. It's even hard to pinpoint what makes it taste so bad.
If I did that the men in the blue uniforms with the big flashlights would probably come and have a word with me. :p

I did a batch that was pretty much molasses and sugar. I thought it would taste like rum. It didn't. Nasty is what it tasted like. I mean, you could drink it but why would you want to?

So today I finally completed the deck refinishing project (well, not really - I still need to put up the under-deck roof and the joist covers, but from standing on the deck, it's done!)

Is that composite? Looks like some nice wired lights too.

Noticed a few female artists above. Here are my favorites.

Sexiest woman that ever lived:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=z5wOd2aGxdU

So Deep...It actually hurts to look at and listen to her:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=NqB5m_XHyQQ

Natalie is brilliant and beautiful:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=UbnOdEA2XPg

Carly Simon always did something for me too. I just could not find a good video.

I can't make the video link show for some reason. Maybe I'm drunk...

Youtube says I have to update my plug-in. I don't like it when my computer tells me what to do!! Says "your plug-in is outdated", well, so is my stove but do you see me running out to get a new one? Hubby is outdated too, same clothes he's had since the 70s, have I kicked him to the curb, been forced to update? No!! Maybe I do not want to update!!!

Hope everyone is doing well this fine evening. :mug:

Back