Brown leaves - problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkatz419

Reaction score
I've got a 2nd year Northern Brewer plant in a large container. Last year the leaves started turning brown on the edges and eventually started falling off mid-season. This pic is about 5-6 weeks since they sprouted this year and I'm already seeing them start to get a few brown edges/spots. When they first broke ground I gave them Miracle Gro Quick Start fertilizer (properly diluted), it appears to have a little bit of everything as far as nutrients go. I'm also growing in Southern California, and while it hasn't gotten HOT yet it did last year and I had to water every other day.

Any ideas on the brown leaves? Too hot? Too much direct sun? Not enough fertilizer? Too much fertilizer?

photostream

I thought the newbie initiation rites were done after 10 posts.

In any case, it's not you, because I can't get your image to appear either. Perhaps there's some switch you need to set in Flickr to allow hot-linking of images?

Cheers!

hmm... maybe, thanks for the pics Fuzze. Most of the brown is actually on the edge, like the leaves are dying from the edge in. Not really spots all over, and I think that's how it was last season too. Browning mostly from the edges in. Since they're in containers and I've read that containers generally need more fertilizer then in the ground I'm going to up the fertilizer frequency and see if it helps.

Back