Question about Brett Brux

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metic

Reaction score
I'm cross-posting this with the Wild Brewing and Lambic forum. At the start of the year I made a batch of Jamil Zainasheff's Orval clone from Brewing Classic Styles (Val D'Or, p.213). I pitched a pack of Wyeast Brett Brux into the secondary and let it sit (the book says for one month, but I've left it longer to make sure the gravity stabilises before I bottle).

I tried a sample today, and it has a strong barnyard aroma and flavour---it's not particularly pleasant at the moment actually, and I'm wondering if I can expect that to change at all over the next few months as the Brett continues working. Will the development from here just be to a stronger barnyard-y kind of profile, or will it be transformed into something else or subdued in any way?

I've had beers with a similar profile to this before, and I generally don't like them when these flavours are so pronounced. I've had other beers where the barnyard aroma is there, but not quite so dominant and, well, gross! The bottles of Orval I've tried have never smelled this way, though I can see how the flavours are related. I don't know if that's because of the age of the bottles I've had, or because the dry-hops cover it up, or what.

I brewed the same recipe, and it definitely gets better in the bottle. Some pro guys believe Brett only peaks once it is bottled - that is, the pressure from being in the bottle stresses the Brett just right to where they throw out the good esters and phenols. I don't understand the science behind it, but the results certainly point to a better tasting Brett character after six months in the bottle.

Yeah I've heard that before too. What gravity did you bottle at? Maybe I should just get it into bottles now.

OK thanks. Mine is around 1.010 now, so I'll think I'll give it another month just in case.

Back