The Blue Light Special Keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tshinefield

Reaction score
Sharing a few pics of my recent (almost completed - minus drip tray) Blue Light Special keezer build. Once I started the project I was on a mission to keep cost as low as possible while making it presentable. I recycled many of the parts involved in the build including the lumber for the collar and base, most nuts and bolts, roller wheels, power supply, electrical cords and connection and even the metal trim is used metal yard edging that once separating rock from grass in the yard. As of now I have approx $420 out of pocket on this project (minus drip tray, kegs and CO2 bottle, taxes) Point is you don’t have to spend a bunch of $ to build a basic keezer.

2013-02-17 17.02.17.jpg

2013-02-17 17.02.38.jpg

2013-02-17 17.03.01.jpg

2013-02-17 17.00.44.jpg

2013-02-17 17.00.25.jpg

I have seen many nice keezer builds over the past years and thought someday I might build a keezer but was in no hurry to get into another project, until I was in Wally Mart and came across a GE 7CF freezer for $119. This was cheaper than the mini fridge I had looked at before that would barely hold 2 corney kegs. So it was a no brainer, game on….

I will follow up with a post on build pics.

Appliance paint for freezer
Hammer paint for collar
Flat black for misc parts
Chalkboard for magnetic sheet on lid

All found @ Lowes/local hardware store

image-1303185996.jpg

Could you please explain how you wired in your temperature controller? Is it an STC-1000?

Could you please explain how you wired in your temperature controller? Is it an STC-1000?

Ditto. I'm sure I've seen a thread on it before, but I cant find it. I have an analog Johnson controller for mine, but would love to use something like yours.

Great looking build, by the way.

How did you secure the collar to the freezer? Also, does the tap shank get in the way of removing the front/middle keg?

Ditto. I'm sure I've seen a thread on it before, but I cant find it. I have an analog Johnson controller for mine, but would love to use something like yours.

Great looking build, by the way.

:off:
If your looking for a thread I would recommend not using the "search function" on this forum. Most of us have found that using a standard search engine like Google, Yahoo far more productive.

You have both asked for assistance wiring an STC-1000 controller, I jumped over to goggle and searched " STC-1000 wiring homebrewtalk" and got the following.

screen shot.jpg

using an outside search engine should drastically reduce your time spent looking for threads.

To answer a few of their questions of both.

One, I used silicone adhesive to attach the collar to the freezer. No bolts. The shanks do not get in the way of kegs going in or out.

Two, I did paint the rubber seal. That really didn't turn out too well the paint did not dry correctly to the rubber. I wiping it off with rubbing Alcohol so now it is a light grey color and looks ok for now. Might try a different type of paint or remove it totally and go with 1 inch weather stripping on the lid..

I did not use the STC1000, it is similar but reads in Fahrenheit. It was off ebay, cheap, came with a probe and works great. Also it is a single stage and will not support both heating and cooling. That is fine with me, I do not need a heating element.

I also hard wired both the freezer and controller though a 120v/15 amp surge protector mounted on the back of the freezer. It gives me cleaner power and has three outlets on it allowing be to plug other thing in the back of the keezer if needed.

image-2754848863.jpg

image-1830435034.jpg

image-2743048587.jpg

Real nice job bro, wish I had those metal skills. I painted my GE black as well, same paint, but was heavy handed with it, few running spots, should have also clear coated but forgot. In any event, very nice work and congrats.

What sort of 120v to 12v (DC) converter did you use for the LED?

:off:
If your looking for a thread I would recommend not using the "search function" on this forum. Most of us have found that using a standard search engine like Google, Yahoo far more productive.

more :off: this forum has built-in google search: in the search box at the top of the page, click on the down-arrow between the word "Search" and the search box. use that search box in the menu instead of the permanently displayed one.

p.s. sweet build.

Vigo_Carpathian said:
Did you have to sand before painting, or did you just prime on top of the original paint?

I lightly sanded the surface with 600 grit to give the paint something to grab onto. No priming with the epoxy paint and a good clean surface. I highly recommend wiping things down with a tack cloth before painting to remove any dust, if not it will show in your final job.

t_met said:
What sort of 120v to 12v (DC) converter did you use for the LED?

I re-purposed a transformer I already had around. Radio Shack sell these type of transformers as well for around $25 + or so. I also added a power filter on the back of the keezer to provide additional outlets and cleaner power for the compressor and temp contoller.

image-3535919368.jpg

image-2994344979.jpg

I have this exact same freezer! Might even buy another. It is nearly three years old and never a hiccup. Mine is just a basic keezer with nothing but picnic taps. You have definatly inspired me to transform mine now! Hope the wife doesn't loose her sh*t. I explained to her how easy it was to convert back to an operational freezer by unplugging it out of the love's controller and she was okay with it then. If I modify it like this I may need to replace her's for sure.

Additional information, for those asking questions about this build.

Brew On!

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you router the recess for where the shanks / LED's are or is the metal band spaced out from the wood?

No spaces or gaps between the wood collar and the metal trim. I did router out the wood collar for the recess and used a metal saw for the matching metal collar. The work in progress pic is before I routed out the wood. In fact I used the metal trim cut as a guide to cut the wood.

davekippen said:
Did you router the recess for where the shanks / LED's are or is the metal band spaced out from the wood?

image-97909808.jpg

image-3958927498.jpg

Awesome. I just picked up a freezer yesterday, and Im going to steal so many of these ideas LOL! I think this is my favorite keezer build. Great work!!

A quick Amazon and Ebay search does not turn up the LED lights like those. Any idea where else I can look, or the proper key words to use?

The LEDs are cheep and can be found at Autozone, Checker, Walmart auto center etc. Why reinvent the wheel.

image-2254811139.jpg

Does anyone use an upright freezer? Or are they all chest freezers? Reason I ask is becuse being age71 it's not as easy lifting straight up as it use to be.

fwiw, I have an MH1210F I just mounted in the lid of my new keezer and your wiring diagram is correct to provide an always-on and a switched side of your duplex outlet...

Cheers!

masteraviator said:
Where did you source what looks like perforated stainless for behind the taps?

I am a bit of a pack rat. I tend to collect unique metal. This was a piece my company was discarding from a showroom. Most steal shops have scraps or will cut similar size pieces at a reasonable price. In Denver we have DenCol. www.dencol.com , they carry some ornamental steel to choose from.

masteraviator said:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/photo/picture2-61809.html

Tim, your controller is a MH-1210C. I have the MH-1210F which is identical except the readout is in °F. I'm putting a duplex outlet at the back of my collar with one switched and one unswitched outlet.

Does this look correct?

Yes.. I agree with Day_Tripper, your wiring design looks correct. Fyi, my unit is in F as well, but the digests are not the same size. I have learned to live with it and really don't notice it anymore... Works like a charm and cheap to build. Can I Get an AMEN!

Pretty sure the MH1210 has always been a Fahrenheit device, with the letter suffix being the revision. The current revision is G...

Cheers!

Back