Foo Fighters are the Best Thing to Happen to Music in the last 20 Years

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppyhoppyhippo

Reaction score
Evidence .

Aside from having the balls to wear the Jedi robes, gotta give Taylor Hawkins props for having the guts to drum 2112 in front of a ton of Rush fans and Neil Peart

Bonus, the Rush induction speech from Grohl and Hawkins, Grohl did so well can't wait to hear the real deal

LINK

I agree. Of course I will always love Nirvana, but Grohl exceeded all expectations and survived the genre. Not a lot of people can say that.

I agree. Of course I will always love Nirvana, but Grohl exceeded all expectations and survived the genre. Not a lot of people can say that.

Being the huge Nirvana fan I was, it was probably the only reason I picked up the Foo Fighters' debut album. Boy am I glad I did. They have continued to wow me. I think Wasting Light has been their best album yet, besides MAYBE their first one.

Being the huge Nirvana fan I was, it was probably the only reason I picked up the Foo Fighters' debut album. Boy am I glad I did. They have continued to wow me. I think Wasting Light has been their best album yet, besides MAYBE their first one.

I'm a Colour and the Shape guy, though I really enjoyed the first one, Echoes, and One by One as well. I'm not sold on Wasting light. I think it's good but I don't think it's on par with some of their other albums for me.

I'm a Colour and the Shape guy, though I really enjoyed the first one, Echoes, and One by One as well. I'm not sold on Wasting light. I think it's good but I don't think it's on par with some of their other albums for me.

Color and the Shape is my personal favorite, but I don't think it's their "best". I think for me, it has more sentimental value.

Love Wheels. When the first came out I despised them. I have really grown to appreciate Dave Grohl as a true artist. They've been added to my bucket list of bands to see. Hope they reunite so I get a chance

Color and the Shape is my personal favorite, but I don't think it's their "best". I think for me, it has more sentimental value.

I love Colour and the Shape cause I can't think of a bad song on that album. I bought the extended edition and all in all there are 2 songs I don't listen to everytiem they come on. Doll and The Colour and the Shape. I'm such a fan of their version of Baker Street. And I think Everlong is their best song.

Their Wembley stadium concert was an excellent show. They were so excited when Jimmy Page came out in the end and played Rock and Roll... And yes, Everlong is their best song.

I was actually listening to, if not the best, the 2nd best album of the 90s on the way to work today: The Colour and the Shape. It was my favourite Foo album until Wasting Light came out.

no...no they aren't. You would't even know who they were if it wasn't for you know who's "other" band

I remember the first time I heard them, which was not long after their first release. I remember where I was the first time I heard them (driving through Kansas City, on my way to Topeka Kansas for a job I was doing there). I had no clue who they were, who was in the band, had never heard of them before. There are not many bands, aside from Rush, Zeppelin, Kiss, or AC/DC that I have that type of recollection of, so, obviously, those guys made a lasting impression on me.

I've loved just about everything they've done.

The subject of this thread is very true, Alice In Chains new stuff is ok, but nothing real good has happened since the mid 90's

I kinda want to hold a bunch of you down and punch you in the grundle with an Anti Nowhere League fist until you embrace the greatness of Filth. or Motorhead. or Acid Bath. or Anthrax. or Joe the Boss.

I kinda want to hold a bunch of you down and punch you in the grundle with an Anti Nowhere League fist until you embrace the greatness of Filth. or Motorhead. or Acid Bath. or Anthrax. or Joe the Boss.

Not sure of all those, but I know Motorhead and Anthrax came out more than 20 years ago

no...no they aren't. You would't even know who they were if it wasn't for you know who's "other" band

Possibly true. Maybe not. Krist Novacelic didn't go on to an illustrious post Nirvana career. Ringo Starr didn't have half the career Grohl already has making his own music. The Foos are a different entity than Nirvana. Comparing the 2 would be like comparing Mother Love Bone to Pearl Jam or Audio slave to RATM

The subject of this thread is very true, Alice In Chains new stuff is ok, but nothing real good has happened since the mid 90's

Thats not really true some interesting Groups have popped up like RATM, Audio slave, Wolfmother, The White Stripes, The racontours, Muse, and many others. But the Foos are simply the best

There's also the fact that the entire first album was written and recorded by Dave Grohl, and Dave Grohl only. Impressive stuff.

Equally impressive is the fact that Dave was approached by Tom Petty after the breakup of Nirvana to be the full-time drummer for the Heartbreakers. Grohl said no thanks, and hence we have the Foo Fighters.

There's also the fact that the entire first album was written and recorded by Dave Grohl, and Dave Grohl only. Impressive stuff.

Well one guitar part was played by someone else so not 100% just like 99%

Grohl is awesome though.

Sadly the one thing that the buzzfeed article misses is that Dave Grohl is a real life Animal (from the Muppets)

Well one guitar part was played by someone else so not 100% just like 99%

Grohl is awesome though.

Sadly the one thing that the buzzfeed article misses is that Dave Grohl is a real life Animal (from the Muppets)

Ah, touchee. And you are right about animal, lol

Even though I'm a huge fan of FF, I love Motorhead. I also love Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath AC/DC, Zeppelin etc and for a newer band Killswitch Engaged.

NIRVANA. I like the foo fighters the only album I have is the colour and the shape which is very good but I would take the worst nirvana song over and foo fighters song bottom line. I love the raw and pure emotion Kurt put into his music. But as far as the foo being the best thing that happened to music is totally false. TOOL all the way they do I right. TOOL is the best thing to happen to music since NIRVANA and that's it

No doubt the Foo is talented, but no way the best thing to happen to music in the last 20 years.
Did they help develop the genre? Sure. But inspiration draws on past influences.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Foos. They were my first concert I ever went to in 94 and they put on an incredible show. But personally, if I had to pick one band in the last 20 year's, it would be DMB.

Haha good one. Oh wait....really?

No doubt the Foo is talented, but no way the best thing to happen to music in the last 20 years.
Did they help develop the genre? Sure. But inspiration draws on past influences.

Name one better. Only thing close is RATM but they were like a hurricane, fast strong and left a wake of destruction.

I mean it all depends on taste in the end, but the Foos have done more to keep rock in the mind of mainstream music fans than anyone else, they've been able to use their popularity to draw people to things like vinyl and analog recording and so on.

And if you watched the video at the beginning, you'd have a real grasp on the pure awesomeness of Dave Grohl

Don't get me wrong, I love the Foos. They were my first concert I ever went to in 94 and they put on an incredible show. But personally, if I had to pick one band in the last 20 year's, it would be DMB.

300px-Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

Sorry I know taste in music is just personal opinion and so on so forth. But I hate DMB. It's like they can't decide if they want to be the Dead, the Boss, or Jimmy Buffet. It's clear that they have an idea they cultivate, but it's crazy. I really can't think of a well written song they have either.

Also if someone says "but the band behind him is so amazing" I'll kick them in the e-nuts cause I don't care if the band behind you is amazing, if the frontman and lyricist blows, then the band blows.

For example, look at Pearl Jam and the Boss, neither Eddie Vedder or the Boss are great singers, but the 2 of them are fantastic frontmen and great lyricists. DMB is them without the charisma or ability to write songs like Black or Born in the USA.

Haha seriously? Born in the USA? What is that song, three chords?

[QUOTE="hoppyhoppyhippo;5147328"DMB is them without the charisma or ability to write songs like Black or Born in the USA.[/QUOTE]

Haha seriously? Born in the USA? What is that song, three chords?

Chords doesn't make the entire song. If songs were solely judged on musical complexity then DMB would be even more screwed.

And Born in the USA is a cultural musical hit. Lyrically there aren't too many better.

I could have of course picked from a stable of Springsteen songs. I figured I'd pick one most know.

Of course we have those amazing DMB lyrics like "I was there when I saw the bear eat his own head, thought it was candy "

The Foo's did a great job of introducing Rush into the R&R hall of Fame and pulled off the 2112 overture with great precision, but that being said Rush reuniting some 10 years ago has to be the greatest thing in Rock and Roll in the past 20 years. Just look at what Rush has done over the past 10 years including 3 original albums plus a cover album as well as a few live albums, not to mention an excellent documentary in 2010 and now having been inducted into the R&R hall of fame. Rush more than ever is at the top of their game.

I'll admit I haven't heard any FOO Fighters outside of what's played on the radio, so they are just meh. to me.

I have friends who are HUGE fans though. There must be something about them I am missing. I keep hearing about Nirvana, so is FF like Nirvana? The radio stuff is very different...

Name one better. Only thing close is RATM but they were like a hurricane, fast strong and left a wake of destruction.

I mean it all depends on taste in the end, but the Foos have done more to keep rock in the mind of mainstream music fans than anyone else, they've been able to use their popularity to draw people to things like vinyl and analog recording and so on.

And if you watched the video at the beginning, you'd have a real grasp on the pure awesomeness of Dave Grohl

Jack White singlehandedly dumps Dave on his ass.

I like the foo fighters, but seriously???

Not trolling. Healthy discussion;)

We are both guilty of HUGE gerneralized statements of "truth".

Black keys, White Stripes, I could name a dozen more, but I guess "rock" is a pretty narrow pigeon hole.

Foo are a little pop for my tastes but unquestionably talented.

Jack White is my smoking gun.

I will take about as much argument on that subject as I do from people who don't believe in evolution.

Jack White singlehandedly dumps Dave on his ass.

I like the foo fighters, but seriously???

Not trolling. Healthy discussion;)

We are both guilty of HUGE gerneralized statements of "truth".

Black keys, White Stripes, I could name a dozen more, but I guess "rock" is a pretty narrow pigeon hole.

Foo are a little pop for my tastes but unquestionably talented.

Jack White is my smoking gun.

I will take about as much argument on that subject as I do from people who don't believe in evolution.

Yeah, I don't understand the huge boner people get for the Foo Fighters either. Not saying they're bad, but I am saying they're over celebrated.

Still, they seem like cool dudes, and people like them, so more power to 'em I guess.

/disclaimer: I was raised on The Beatles and other music with soul. So nobody will ever be "great" in comparison.

Back