SG consistent, bubbles still in airlock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluelinebrewer

Reaction score
I brewed a Strawberry Blonde Ale on 4/6, my starting SG was 1.051. Fermented for 1 week at 68°, SG was 1.008. I used Wyeast 1272. I racked onto some strawberries on 4/14, which sat for one week. My temp on this was lower than my fermenting, at about 60°. In the past when I have done this, I get a pretty good secondary fermentation, but this time not so much, I'm assuming due to the lower temp. On 4/21 I racked off the strawberries into a tertiary, which has been setting at about 68° ever since. I checked the SG and got 1.008, but I'm still seeing some activity in the airlock. I would assume that a week at 68°, would be plenty long enough to finish fermentation. I went ahead and cold crashed today, but my only concern is bottle bombs if I didn't let it ferment long enough. Any advice? Suggestions? Words of encouragement?

I don't know. Taste it. If it tastes good and you have had consistent hydro readings, crash it. If not, wait.

It is just a pressure difference.

Is this one done?

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 to what urbanmyth said. Your airlock is only a guide. The hydrometer is king.

Trapped CO2 can come out for weeks under change-in-season conditions. It sounds like you're good. I'll take a tall one in a tulip when it's ready. :mug:

Lol, ok ok, I get it. My first instinct was to rely on the hydro, I just thought I'd get a second opinion.

I don't wanna brag.. ok yes I do.. this strawberry blonde tasted so good, SWMBO actually drank all of the hydro jar sample after I convinced her to "taste" it!! And she is a very strict Bud Light girl! So, I'm pretty sure this ones gonna turn out amazingly!

Back